• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hardware is all accounted for

Barrel Char Wood Products

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Well, I've purchased all of the necessary hardware to get my first batch going. The only thing left is my honey. I have 3 apiarys here in my town, so the phone calls will start.

The folks at Wert's Brew Haus were very nice and were more than glad to walk me through everything I needed to get started. I even got invited to the next meeting of the local home brew club here.

Definitely left me with a good impression.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Let us know how things go!

My first batch has lost it's foam, but is still bubbling nicely thru the airlock! Almost two weeks into it! Of course, I am not the most patient individual. So I went out and bought some 1 gallon jugs to start smaller batches, while waiting for my first batch to become drinkable! ;D

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Are you doing a traditional mead?

When do you predict your batch will be ready to bottle?

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
his first batch will be ready to bottle in about 9 months :)

Of course being his first batch there is a very good probability of it being vanquished in 2 months + 1 month for each gallon he made :) (less if he has a lot of friends)

If he made a cyser, it might not survive the primary as those rarely have stages less than yummy :)

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Traditional, I suppose! It is a recipe that we found in a book, which uses OJ as the yeast starter.
Should be able to rack into carboy in a week or two, I would think. Next we are going to try a one gallon batch of Pear "mead". Decided there are so many we want to try, that we'd better do some in smaller batches!

I'll keep you posted on the progress! You do the same!

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
GntlKnght said:
I'll keep you posted on the progress! You do the same!

Sounds good. I should have all of my materials ready to go by Feb 2...this Monday, to start my first batch.

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Well, I got my first batch under way tonight. I used Thirsty Viking's idea and went with a simple cyser.

Now, it's hurry up and wait. :)

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Heheeh,
now is the time to start your secong batch, the one you hope to age a little bit :)

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Well, I've got four mini one gallon carboys (thanks to my apple juice) so my options are wide open! :)

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Well better count on three of them holding the remainder of your cyser when you you decise that waiting for 5 gallons to bulk age is unreasonable :)

I know my 3 gallon batch (my first batch) converted to two 1 gallon batches and some instant gratification :)

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Well, my cyser has been in the primary now for about two weeks and an interesting thing happened. The other day I was getting a pop in the airlock about once every seven seconds. Today it's back up to once every three seconds...

Is that normal? To go down and then back up again?

Tastes pretty darn good BTW...:)

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
I racked the cyser today with a reading of 1.030....starting og was 1.128

Should I go ahead and add the sorbate to stop fermentation and then add the AJC? The AJC has nothing but vitamin C added.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
hmm well my hydrometer suggests your running 13% ABV, #WLP720 is listed on the website as 15% which would be final Gravity of 1.013 or so. That being said, yeast attenuations are notoriously flexible... it could be done now, could run to dry, could restart in 5 weeks.

Yeah i'd be tempted to sorbate and sulfite now if you like the taste .... when you go to sample be sure to degass it for a fairly accurate taste.

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
ThirstyViking said:
Yeah i'd be tempted to sorbate and sulfite now if you like the taste .... when you go to sample be sure to degass it for a fairly accurate taste.

I think I will do that then. I like the taste now, but I want more apple flavor so I'll add the AJC also.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
When sweetening to taste sweeten a small amount first... Personally i have some really good blueberry cyser at 1.044 S.G. only a couple people have complained about the sweetness.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns