PDA

View Full Version : Which honey to choose?

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-07-2004, 08:48 PM
All my glass carboys and bottles are supposed to arrive today.

I am going to get 5 or 6 gallons of freshly squeezed apple juice tomorrow as it comes out of the press.

I have Orange Blossom, Clover/Black Locust, and Goldenrod honeys to select from.

Which should I use for my Cyser?

Jmattioli
10-07-2004, 09:02 PM
That is simple. Whichever you like. :D
Seriously speaking, taste them and use the mildest so that the apple taste will not be overpowered. You will not be disappointed.
Joe

Talon
10-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Or possibly to enhance your cyser, apple blossom honey?

Talon.

ScottS
10-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Have you ever seen apple blossom honey? It is extremely difficult to produce. Frankly, I'd be skeptical of anything labeled as such.

Talon
10-08-2004, 01:34 AM
No, but as it comes from the apple tree, thought it might add a complimentary flavor...

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Unfortunately, all I have purchased and available is what I mentioned. I have also been warned to avoid Fall honey if possible because of undesirable tastes/aroma possibilities.

I believe I will go with the Clover/Black Locust for now. If I use straight apple juice (no water) how much honey per gallon should I be using?

Thanks,
Pewter

Jmattioli
10-08-2004, 03:27 AM
What alcohol content and Residual sweetness do you want if any? And what yeast will you be using? A reasonable amount could be anywhere from 1 1/2 lbs per gallon to 3 lbs per gallon.
Anymore than that would be mighty strong or sweet.
Joe

ThistyViking
10-08-2004, 12:45 PM
for what it is worth, i use about 2 pounrs per gallon in my cysers... but champagne yeast makes that mighty darn dry... so i'd recomend k1-v1116 see your first recipees for my cyser if you want.

I'd consider 3/4 - 1 pound of goldenrod and the rest clover. While the OB would probably be fine... i'd personally avoid introduction of citrus charachter to the cyser. This is purely a gut though with no experience trying it. Apple charachter is delicate.. and i have added concentrate before during agin to restore it.