PDA

View Full Version : What would you call this?

Jonathan Sinclair
09-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Hello fellow mead makers. I'm new to this forum, so go easy on me!

I have made a few meads recently, and they have turned out beautifully! I'm waiting to bottle the latest one, but was wondering what the technical term for my brew is. It contains:

2lbs. scuppernongs
2lbs muscadines
2lbs blueberries
2lbs strawberries
2lbs blackberries
18lbs clover honey
2tsp Irish moss

All of this in a 6 gallon carboy. It has been brewing for about 2 months now, and a tasting last night reveals the astringency of the scuppernong/muscadine skins. Will this diminish with time, or am I stuck with it? Are these 2 berries close enough to grapes to call my brew "cyser"? What would you call it?

Thank you,

Jon

Talon
09-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Well, I would call it a blended melomel because of the multitude of fruits you use.

I wouldn't call it a pyment as grapes aren't your only secondary sugar source...

As for your other question, I'm not experienced with grapes to actually give you an educated answer. Oskaar may be able to shed more light on that for you with his experience of making wine with his father.

Talon.

ScottS
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Yep, looks like a melomel to me. That astringency should age gracefully, though it may take awhile.

Jonathan Sinclair
09-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Thank you all for your replys, and quickly. I think I'll enjoy this forum!

Oskaar
09-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Multi-berry/grape melomel. Personally I just like the idea of having something called scuppernongs in a mead! It's funny to talk to your friends and tell them what you're using to brew mead. I get the funniest looks.

Welcome to the board!

Cheers,

Oskaar

xlr8
09-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Thank you for the hearty welcome!

The fruit was raided from a deep freeze that my parents left behind when they moved. I live in the south, and fruit is always around. My mom likes to eat frozen scups/muscadines like candy.

Overall, this stash turned out pretty well. I bottled it today, and have downed a couple this evening. Not bad. Not bad at all. Needs to sit for a while. ;)

Oh, I just decided to go ahead and register today. I used my usual handle...

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
09-29-2004, 07:07 AM
OKay... OKay....
Here is the dummy question....
What the heck is are scuppernongs & muscadines ???

Grapes???

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

xlr8
09-29-2004, 07:12 AM
They are berries that seem to me to be in the same genus as grapes, but not sure on that. They grow on a vine like grapes, but not so much in clusters as do grapes. I believe they are native to the the southeastern united states. Scups are white, Muscadines are purple.

Oskaar
09-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Here is a link to information on the Vitus rotundifolia which is classified as a grape.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/rotundif.asp

Cheers,

Oskaar

xlr8
09-30-2004, 03:16 AM
Hey, that was a pretty good link! So I guess they are classified as grapes. People certainly grow them like they are! There are vinyards EVERYWHERE here in GA, and a lot more in FL. With all of the rain we've had, the wild ones should be divine! I just happen to know where some are growing this year, although I still have a few pounds in my freezer from the raid. :o

So here is my recipe for this "multiberry melomel":

Refer to the top for berries, honey used, and amounts.

I made two differrrent musts, and combined them. I brought approx. 2gals of water to a boil, then turned down the heat, and added frozen berries in a 5gal paint strainer. I steeped the berries for about 20-30 minutes, while mashing them with a potato masher at the same time. I then strained the berries and liquid into a 6 gallon carboy, and even "sparged" the berry bag with 1 gal of purified water.

Now the honey was a bit different. I simply added 18lbs of honey to about 2 gals of 212 degree water...heat was turned down before adding the honey. I then added 2tblsp of acid blend, 2 tsp of irish moss, and then steeped it between 160 and 180 degrees for a few minutes. I then added this to the carboy, and topped it up a bit with purified water. I then added regular old Red Star champagne yeast, stirred it all up, and topped it to about 2" below the opening of the carboy, and attached a blow off hose. I think this approach has a lot to do with how quickly the finished product clears, but that's a different thread. Anyway, it blew for maybe 72 hours, and when it had calmed down a good bit, I added the air lock and left the brew for about 2 weeks. I then racked it, and it cleared well before 2 months had expired. I'm having a glass as we speak, although it is very green. It has passed the wife test too, CHEERS!!!