PDA

View Full Version : Clarity with melomels

svaros
09-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Has anyone noticed that their melomels drop clear faster than other types of mead?

I have a raspberry melomel and a ginger mead that have dropped clear in a little over a month. The two methglins that were started on the same day are still cloudy.

Anyone have any experience with a cyser or a pyment?

DE

ScottS
09-29-2004, 02:12 AM
I find that it varies widely with the type of fruit. Strawberry is fast, raspberry is slow, for example. I'm surprised to hear that your raspberry was fast. Cyser was reasonably fast, and so was the concord grape pyment. I think it depends a lot on how well the fruit holds it's shape rather than disintigrating into mush (pears), and on how many little hairs etc are on the fruit (raspberries).

Oskaar
09-29-2004, 02:56 AM
I agree with Scott. Mostly it depends on the type of fruit. Peach and nectarine are dog-slow, cyser is pretty quick. My blueberry melomels generally drop clear somewhere in between those.

My "Mutiny on the Bounty Cyser" (a superset of Ken Schramm's Fall's Bounty Cyser, and Thirsty Viking's Simple Cyser) is already cleared and it has been less than thirty days. Oh well, time to rack!

I love the smell of fermenting honey in the morning! It smells like . . . I'll be drinkin' tonight!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli
09-29-2004, 09:08 AM
My straight meads typically drop clear within 7 days after stabilization. The only thing I do is add approximately 1/2t (.6t to be exact) grape tannin disolved in warm water when preparing the must. Melomels are typically the same as long as I use tannin at the start. Only had a problem with one so far, and it was solved with Sparkaloid.
Joe

Talon
09-29-2004, 06:18 PM
I've a blueberry and a passion fruit nectar meads that are both VERY exceptionally clear in secondary and no stabilization at all! I'm very impressed with them...

Otherwise, my other melomels took a bit, but I think that was due to the recipe I was using as the two above are very different.

My others took about as long as my other melomels...

Talon.

svaros
09-29-2004, 06:53 PM
For my raspberry melomel, I froze the berries, and then, after letting them defrost, put them in a pot and mashed them with a potato masher. Once that was done, I forced them through a strainer to get rid of the seeds. The melomel was pink at first, but a lot of fruit detritus quickly dropped to the bottom of the fermenter, and it went clear very quickly. If you haven't tried straining out the seeds, you might want to give it a shot. It seemed to clear really quickly for me.

DE