PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

Talon
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Well, Francis is ever encroaching on Florida and looks like it's going to be a doozy!

Fortunately, I've a case of bottles already filled and a 3 gallon carboy of wildflower dry that is ready to bottle. So, that will be done this week-end as Francis approaches land. It will give me something to do and something to trade for food/supplies if I have to. That's the extent of my good news...

The bad news is that I'm 20 miles from the coast in Central Florida, Atlantic side, but north of where Francis is going to hit. I hold no reservations that we're going to get hit hard and more likely than not will sustain damage to my home. Hopefully it's nothing that will damage my meads... Priorities, right? I'm not anticipating any injuries in my house as I and my mother who will be riding this out with me and my wife have been through several hurricanes in Bermuda while we lived there and know a few tricks to survive catagory 5 hurricanes.

Is there anyone who wishes me to contact someone in Florida at this time so that they can be rest assured that they're being thought of? Reason being that many of us will definately be without power and as I'm a ham radio operator, I have avenues of communication open to me that others aren't aware of or able to access. If communications are down, I can at least get a message out to you. What would be required is a name, address and phone number for me to pass a message back to you from your person. Feel free to contact me before Friday afternoon as that's the last time I'll be able to logon because I'll be running around like mad taking care of preparations.

I'll make my contact information available to anyone who wishes to have it.

Oh, and if you wouldn't mind and you're of a religious mind, say a prayer, light a candle or do whatever you do to communicate with the universe or Deity so that all of us in Florida may make it through with as little damage/loss of lives as possible?

Thanks,
Talon.

Oskaar
09-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Oskaar

Talon
09-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Will do!

Talon.

Talon
09-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Okay, I made it through with no structural damage again. However, my tree took out a section of my fence and missed my neighbor's house by a foot. Also, 5 other sections came off the fence, but in complete, well almost, panels.

Bad news is that I lost a batch of red raspberry mead as it's started growing mold on the top of it.

Good news is I've now got a case and a half of wildflower dry to have fun with!

Now to keep an eye on Ivan. It's supposed to hit Cuba by Sunday and head for south Florida.
Here's the URL to see what the track is currently:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5%2BGIF/070303W5.gif

Already we've lived through history. The last time 2 hurricanes hit Florida in the same season, they were 6 weeks appart. This time they were only 3 and possibly a third storm to hit Florida within a 6 week period will put us in the books for sure!

Talon.

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Talon,

May I ask if you heated your must or not on the spoiled batch of raspberry?

Thanks,
Pewter

Talon
09-23-2004, 11:39 PM
On this I did heat to scum it. But not hot enough to pasturize it. I'm guessing it actually went to a stuck fermentation and that's when the mold was able to grow on the fruit parts in the must.