• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is it done? or stuck?

Barrel Char Wood Products

lbaker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2004
www.moremead.com
Well, I'm making my first batch of mead, a cyser, and I'm wondering how you tell if the fermentation is done, or stuck. I don't have a SG reading for the start, but it fermented vigorously for about 10 days, and now, after a month, the SG is at 1.04 and all signs of fermentation have ended. I have the recipe and a log of everything I've done at:

http://www.moremead.com/first.html

I'm thinking the yeast has done all it's going to do, and my cyser is going to be real sweet, but how do I know for sure? Also, if it is done, when bottling time comes (a few months in the future), should I add something to make sure it doesn't start fermenting in the bottle?

Thanks for the assistance.

Lyle Baker
http://www.moremead.com

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well Lyle,
The sweet mead yeast you used has an attenuation of 75% so it will naturally finish sweet. According to your recipe you used about 2.6 lbs of honey per gallon which could have given you a starting gravity of approximately 1.160 WITH the sugar in the apple juice. Theoretically that would finish with that yeast at 1.040 (1/4 of .160) (These are only approximations)
If you are concerned about fermentation restarting you can let it sit and bulk age for 6months or a year or just add potassium sorbate and metabisufite to stabilize it and bottle when clear.
Regards,
Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns