PDA

View Full Version : my first braggot

kace069
03-21-2004, 04:42 AM
i made my first braggot it has spent 2 weeks in primary and today is the 2nd week in the secondary. and it is still fairly active. now the problem is i don't want to rush this to the bottle but i don't want it in the secondary to long because i want to be sure the yeast will beable to carbonate after it is bottled. my sg was 1098 and at racking it was 1022 and i used icv-d47. which in the past i couldn't ever get it to ferment to a fg of less then about 1030. i am open to any suggestions. anyone out there try there hand at braggot before??? i loosely followed ken scramms recipie for the braggot. thanks!

JoeM
03-21-2004, 10:06 AM
I love braggot. Since i dont know exactly what you put in yours its hard to predict what it will do. I've made the following recipe about 5 times with great success

5 lbs Clover honey
5 lbs Light DME
8 oz 40L Crystal Malt
1/4 oz Cascade Hops
Your favorite Ale Yeast
5.5 oz dextrose to prime at bottling

I usually primary for 4-6 weeks and have had it in secondary as long as 4 months with no problems carbonating. Generally anything less than 5-6 months and you shouldnt have a problem carbonating UNLESS you start pushing the alcohol tolerance levels of the particular strain of yeast.

kace069
03-21-2004, 10:56 AM
thanks for the advice here is my recipie
4# light dme
9#honey
1# 10l crystal malt
2oz cascade (bittering)
1oz saaz (flavoring)
irish moss 1tsp
yeast nutrient 1tbs
energizer 1tsp
icv-d47

i plan on priming with 3/4 cup corn sugar, this is supposed to be a barley wine style, i have never made a barley wine so this is really a shot in the dark for me