• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My sparkling mead did not sparkle!

Barrel Char Wood Products
M

Montgomery

I have a problem that i'm kind of upset about and was hoping someone could offer some help. I've made sparkling mead a few times with pasture champagne yeast with excellent results. However, it always came out a little on the dry side and too alchoholic for my taste. So for my last two batches i decided to switch yeasts for a change. I used a montrachet yeast with 16 lbs of honey in a 6 gallon batch. i let it ferment and bulk age for 4 months racking twice, and then bottled it with 8 oz of corn sugar to prime. i let it condition in the bottle for 6 months before deciding to try it. when i finally did crack one open i was very dissapointed, the mead tasted wonderful but was almost FLAT! It had only the smallest hint of sparkle. So my questions are where did i go wrong and how can i fix it? i'm unhappy enough with the result that i would be willing to open all the bottles, dump them back into the bucket and do some work on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Sparkling Sweet anything is hard to do unless you force carbonate.

Otherwise you will always be gambling on either Flat or Bottle bombs for your result.You can use Champagne yeast for lower alchohol content by using a lower S.G. but you still get the same very dry result.

Sparkling Perry is wonderful BTW.

yabb_unknown_usr

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 28, 2005
Is there anything i can do to fix/improve the current flat batch? It tastes so good i just dont want to let it go!

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
There are things that could be done... you could get one of those little mini kegging systems that home brew shops sell. Pour several bottle into the keg, attach the little CO2 cartridge.

On a larger scale you could go the Corney keg route with larger CO2 canisters and 5 gallon kegs. These will do a better Job at Carbonating IMO.

M

Montgomery

I was thinking about opening the bottles, dumping them into a bucket, repitching with champagne yeast, and immediately rebottling. Do you think this would work?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns