PDA

View Full Version : Krupnik

exmoor_cat
11-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Does anyone know how to make this?? I discovered it during my travels in Eastern Europe and it is THE ambrosia (the less said about my weakness for slivovitz, absinthe, beer* and vodka, the better). Am I right in thinking it's a distilled mead brandy with added honey???

* beer in Ukraine = circa 40 cents a pint as the 5-6% abv is considered a soft drink......

:o

Oskaar
11-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Sljivovitca eh! Not too many people outside my family (Croatian) drink that and actually like it! Of course, most just get the stuff off the shelf in the liquor store which is kind of like rocket fuel unitl it's been aging for about 15 years. We get it from our cousins down around the Dubrovnik area, homemade and quite nice!

Cheers,

Oskaar

exmoor_cat
11-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Cor, home-made stuff is the nuts! I source out of Slovenia from an ex-classmate of mine.
One of the side-effects of an international education :D

Anyone else tried Krupnik? I believe it is mainly a Polish speciality.

exmoor_cat
11-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Bingo! Totally not what I thought it was!!!!
http://www.globalgourmet.com/destinations/poland/krupnik.html

exmoor_cat
11-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Update - I tried it out at a house party and it wasvery successful, everyone enjoyed it. THe vodka was put into the hot syrup, cooling it enough to serve in shot glasses. Definately a sippin aperitif! Woot!

WikdWaze
11-13-2004, 12:06 PM
That does sound tempting

Ryszard
12-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Krupnik is not a brandy. This is vodka (sweet vodka =liqueur).

It is made by mixing "spirytus" (rectified spirit - 96% ALC by vol. grain neutral spirit) with other ingredients. One of these components is honey. It is Polish specialty. Can be drink worm or cold. They have few varieties of Krupnik. I have a recipe if somebody is interested in Krupnik.

:)

exmoor_cat
12-05-2004, 01:56 AM
It is a fantastic drink and please do post your recipe up here, especially if there are several variations. Thanks for the emails BTW :)

PSanderson
12-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Ryszard - count me in as interested in the recipe, sounds great.

Cheers,
Peter

Ryszard
12-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Krupnik Kurpiowski (Pomeranian).

250 ml honey
125 ml sugar
250 ml water
500 ml grain neutral spirit (spirytus)

½ stick of vanilla
¼ of nut mug (shredded)
3 – 4 cloves
1/2 stick of cinnamon
orange peel or lemon peel (1piece only)

Put spices to hot water and boil for few minutes. Caramelize sugar. Add honey to hot caramel and mix quickly. To this worm liquid add spirit. Mix it and pour it to a bottle and cork it. Allow it to mature for few weeks (few months even better).

Krupnik Staropolski - Old-Time Polish
250 ml aspen honey or all flower honey
500 ml spirit
½ sick vanilla
½ stick cinnamon
2 cloves
¼ of nut mug (shredded)
1 grain of bay leaves
pinch of ginger
¼ dry lemon peel

Cut vanilla into pieces, crush cloves and bay leaves.
Dissolve honey in 250 ml water, add spices. Boil few minutes and then put this on a side for 30 minutes. *Filter extract (nalevka), boil again and pour boiling liquid to a warm jug, add spirit and mix quickly. You can serve immediately in worm cups.

*You can also leave nalewka in a corked up bottle for 4 weeks, then filter and bottle it.
Nalewka – specific style vodka (strictly Polish)
The only vodka in western countries which is made in a style of nalwka is gin.

Na zdrowie!

For fire safety keep spirit or vodka away from fire.

PSanderson
12-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Ryszard,

Just to clarify - when making Krupnik polski style what spirit should I use.

I had a look at the local alcohol outlet and they do sell a brand of Polish vodka but do not state how it is made, and I'm not sure if it was made using the Gin method (I'm not even sure what this is :))

I would like to make some for Xmas, my mother is Polish and she would get a kick (literally) out of this.

Cheers,
PeterS

Ryszard
12-09-2004, 09:06 AM
You should use rectified spirit - 96% ALC by vol. grain neutral spirit or 70% spirit.
With 96% spirit, you will make ~ 45% nalewka (vodka).
You can also use 70% grain spirit or vodka (made of grain) but you will have to use little more of this to obtain nalewka between 33%– 40% ALC by vol.
By vodka we understand clear vodka.
Krupnik = spicies + spirit or vodka + time (nalewka has to mature).
Don’t look for gin. I mentioned gin for comparison only.

exmoor_cat
12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
<-- one very happy and sozzled brewer! Krupnik is ace! Though finding Spirityus is an ongonig quest, finding polish vodka has been successful :D

London is full of Poles, swarms of your compatriots here!!! We even have a Polish-Indian fusion restaurant round the corner!

Oskaar
12-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Wow, Polish-Indian fusion food!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Curry prirogies!!!!!

Oskaar

Ryszard
12-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Poles make mead also. Polish tradition of making mead is over 1000 years old.
In fact, mead use to be recognized as Polish national drink. This days consumption of mead is much smaller than vine or beer. Mead is more expensive. However, public respect to this drink remains. Honey was always prized for its medical value and culinary applications.

Polish mead mentioned on this Forum is one of the lest expensive…
We have few Polish types of mead my wife bought during her trip to Poland.
She paid about $ 30 US dollars (each).
These meads require ageing for 10 years or more.

Krupnik is probably the oldest nalewka (form of vodka).

Vicky Rowe
12-12-2004, 05:04 AM
Muahahahahahaha (evil laughter) Thanks, Ryszard! Now I know what new, wicked drink I will take to renaissance festivals this year! I think if I make this now, and let it age until springtime, I'll be a very popular person.

Vicky - eagerly adding Ryszard's recipes to my stash of interesting liqueurs....