• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brother can you spare a . . . . cyser recipe?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Somewhere along the line ThirstyViking posted a great cyser recipe but I'll be dogged if I can find it anywhere.

I'd be grateful if someone could post it up for me in it's entirety. I looked through the recipies section on the site, but the one that I saw there didn't look like the one I remembered from the posts in this forum.

adTHANKSvance,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yo! Skunk-dude!

Here's the recipe I put together it's sort of a superset of Thirsty Viking's Simple Cyser, and Ken Schramm's Falls Bounty Cyser. I call it Mutiny on the Bounty Cyser.

It's great, it smells wonderful while it's fermenting and in less then three months you'll begin calling it the incredible shrinking batch because . . . well, you'll see.

Here's what I used:

Five Gallon Batch

2 Gallons Pure Gravenstien Apple Cider (Trader Joe's)
2 Gallons Pure Blended Apple Cider (Trader Joe's)
1 Gallon Orange Blossom Honey
.5 Gallons Spring Water
.5 lbs Dates (Trader Joe's with no S02)
.5 lbs Thompson Seedless Raisins (Trader Joe's with no S02)
.75 lbs Pure Cane brown sugar
.25 lbs Vanilla Sugar
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient*
2 tsp Yeast Energizer*
10 g Lalvin K1-V1116 Rehydrated as per Lalvin's instructions

Mixed in this order:
Apple Cider, Brown Sugar, Vanilla Sugar, OB Honey, Raisins, Dates, H20 to 5.50 gallons, yeast food, yeast energizer (on subsequent batches I found that the yeast food and enregizer are not necessary, but that's up to you).

Mixed hard, pitched yeast, capped it tight and topped off the Airlocks with some Smirnoff Vodka to keep it clean up top.

Don't worry about an SG reading, It won't be accurate because of all the floaties and chunkies from the raisins and dates.

Cheers,

Oskaar

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
thanks oskaar! i was trying to get a copy of ThirstyViking's recipe and now it has dissapeared??

remember this one

1 gal honey
5 gal apple juice
1 lalvin 1116

it was really simple and in a thread that i read this morning and now i will be go to %@$# if i can find it?? i think it got moved or banned or was killed??

do you happen to recall the thread and if so i really need to read it again to compare his five gal with the 1 gal notes.

thanks again!
scott

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
also is anybody getting weird errors when they post or check the notice box this evening?

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
mead, the other white meat!

oskaar, could you find that recipe for me when you sober up!!

thanks,
scott

PSanderson

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
Oskaar,

Thanks for the recipe - just to clarify by cider you mean apple juice?
Here in australia (I think) we only call cider fermented apple juice.

Cheers,
Peter

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Did some digging -- here's Thirsty Viking's cyser recipes:

-------------------[snip!]-----------------------------

104 Mead Recipes and Recipe Requests / Recipes / Re: First Time, Need A Simple Recipe! Mar 2nd, 2004, 7:23am
My reply for simpler recipe that that mass of fruit in a 1 gallon jug is as follows.

1 gallon glass jug of apple cider
2 pounds of honey
yeast (i still recomend wine yeast, you have to get a stopper and airlock anyway)

While I can't comment on the bread-melomel suggested by the previous poster, This recipe has worked for everyone who has tried it since I started teaching people to make mead.

I do recomend starting with a PETE (a type of plastic, PETE will be written under the recycle symbol on the bottom) bucket from Home Depot for initial fermentation.

Edit: Thought I'd finish what I should have posted earlier

Then after Kraussen drops, siphon off one gallon to the Applejuice jug. Place the rest (with sediment) in the Honey jar in the Refrigerator to cold stabalize. When you rack the 1 gallon jug later top off with the cleared must from the jar.

165 Making Mead / Mead NewBees / Re: Greetings everyone Jan 31st, 2004, 12:34am
well a whole new level of patience is called for with meadmaking. My advice to you is to start with a Cyser... since you really don't understand Patience yet

A simple cyser recipe is almost fool proof, and remains tasty throughtout its life cycle IME so lack of patience isn't punished with concerns about spoiled efforts.

1 gallon Apple juice (NO PRESERVATIVEs, ABSOLUTELY NO SORBATE, read ingredients Carefully)
2 - 2.5 pounds honey
(multiply above for batch size)

Wine yeast (D-47, K1-V1116, or a similar one)
A sweet mead yeast, or a cider yeast should be fine, check you brewshop yeast for manufacturers Recomendations

Let the fun begin At the end of the Bulk Aging Hit with SO2 and sweeten to taste with Apple juice concentrate (AJC)containing Sorbate as a preservative. (Do not use this to top off when racking unless you want to end fermentaion).

Use of the AJC will help restore lost apple charachter from the fermentation process if needed.

Apple juice has enough nutirents to meet the needs of the yeast.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
PSanderson said:
Oskaar,

Thanks for the recipe - just to clarify by cider you mean apple juice?
Here in australia (I think) we only call cider fermented apple juice.

Cheers,
Peter

I'll jump in on this one. Here in the USA, we tend to refer to fresh juice pressed from apples yet otherwise unprocessed though maybe blended as "cider" It is mostly available in the Fall around apple harvest into late winter.

Apple juice - which we can get as well, is normally processed or reconsitituted from concentrates. Apple juice is just that, yet you will find some residual pulp etc. in cider.

When fermented we normally refer to it as "hard" cider.

I had a friend visit England and order cider at a pub. It was a very pleasant surpise for him. The hangover the next morning was less pleasant and even less of a surprise! :eek:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey ISkunk

I don't have TV's recipe in the five or one gallon iteration. I looked at his recipe and I looked at Ken Schramm's recipe in The Compleat Meadmaker, and decided neither of them filled what I wanted completely so I increased the honey dosage, added vanilla sugar, and used K1V yeast.

In subsequent recipes I actually used dried cherries as nutrients, along with dried cranberries, and made a five gallon batch of melomel using 4 gallons fresh cherry juice and 10 lbs of sage honey, along with some vanilla beans, D-47 yeast and raw cane sugar.

They all turned out great, it's just a matter of keeping the stuff around, we burned a lot of mead between Halloween and Thanksgiving, and even more between Thanksgiving and now (two wakes and a wedding)

Things are slowing down so I can get back to doing some show meads for spring when more fruit is available locally. I noticed that Sam's has a pretty respectable deal on frozen berry mixture of red raspberries, marion blackberries and blueberries at $6.xx per 3 lb bag which isn't too shabby considering that most stores carry 12 oz bags for $3.00 and up.

Cheers,

Oskaar

PS Try that recipe I posted. I've had about a dozen people make it because it takes about twenty minutes to put together, it matures quickly, and it tastes excellent.

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
mcfeeley
that was the one! thank you very much.

oskaar
we have your recipe printed out and it's next on our list. until then please send a care package of one bottle of each of your good stuff, thanks fur your help and i'll let you know how it turns out 8)

vicky
thanks for fixing my bug ::)

merry christmas all ;D

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
oskaar, a couple o three questions..

what is "trader joes"

do you use a primary for a week or so, then to carboy, when do the dates n raisins come out.

what is the finish sg.

PSanderson

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
David,

Thanks for clarifying the apple juice / cyder thing.

This is going to be my next batch as soon as the silly season is dealt with!

Cheers,
Peter

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Trader Joes is an "organic/health/speciality" store here in So Cal and across the USA.

Primary lasts until the bubbling slows to less than one blip per minute. You rack to a secondary leaving the chunkies behind. Use a stainless steel scouring pad (Curley Kate is one brand) over the end of your racking cane to ensure that the chunks and floaties don't follow into the secondary. Top up as appropriate.

Final SG is between 1.015 - 1.025 I like this particular cyser at 1.020.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns