PDA

View Full Version : Need for the best recipe

scottlind
11-16-2004, 04:51 AM
I've got about 60# bucket of Blueberry honey and would like to make a great Blueberry melomel, what to add for best results. And measurments?? :-/

Talon
11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Personally, I pureed my blueberries as they were originally frozen, added them to primary and adjusted the PH a bit, then pitched the yeast. Once that was done, I sat back and watched it create a 1.5 inch yeast cake on top. It's actually a very wonderful melomel. It's aging right now, but how awesome it tastes!

Talon.

Vicky Rowe
11-17-2004, 05:55 AM
Hiya Idaho!

I got a great blueberry melomel out of the recipe here:
http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/recipe20.shtml

This sucker turned out to be one of my best meads ever.

Hope this helps!

Vicky - updating Gotmead and working on the IMA website

Cartierusm
11-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Hey sounds good. I read the recipe and wanted to know what you meant by "1 #10 can Vintners Harvest blueberry puree"? Is that a Number 10 can or a 10 lbs can? Also where did you get it from? Thanks

JamesB
11-24-2004, 04:59 AM
The recipe called for blueberry honey...Can't other honey be used instead?

I've put together my own blueberry melomel using blueberry juice concentrate, orange blossom honey, and assmanhausen yeast. Don't know yet how it will turn out.

scottlind
11-24-2004, 05:15 AM
vicki, thank you for the recipe, sounds great and i'm going to try it! 8)

JamesB
12-06-2004, 07:41 AM
I sample the blueberry mead today. It's a bit sharp. I used wild blueberry juice concentrate ordered from, I believe, brownwoodacres in Michigan. I'll probably have to sweaten it a lot at bottling time to counter the sharpness.

I want to experiment with another batch of blueberry mead. This time, I plan on using just regular blueberry juice concentrate (none of this "wild" stuff). A champagne yeast should do.

Any comments/suggestions?

David Baldwin
12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
James,

In my experience with Michigan blueberries, I've always found the wild blueberries to be far superior to any domesticated variety.

It may depend on where the blueberries were grown, and the particular growing season.

The wild blueberries I've picked along the Escarpment trail in the Porcupine Mountains are without peer. Of course it may have been the incredible view, or having to compete with the black bears for them that make them so special.

My brothers wife has family with a high bush blueberry farm. Next year I'll have some fresh domesticated berries to play with - in fact, I'll have access to all the blueberries I can handle.

David

JamesB
12-09-2004, 07:14 AM
David,
Have you ever made mead with these blueberries before?

For my next batch of blueberry mead, I'm planning to order from these people:

http://www.overlakefoods.com/

David Baldwin
12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm new to the art of mead making, so I've not yet done a blueberry melomel.

The wild blueberries - I must admit - have never lasted the hike down the trail. The last time I was there I ate a baseball cap full before we got back to the car. (NOT a good idea... :-[ they tasted good but oh my... :o)

I was too late in this years picking season to get any of the domesticated blueberries.

Next year I'll have plenty of the domesticated, and I'll post the results in the Brewlog.

ScottS
12-09-2004, 09:38 PM
David,

There apparently is a blueberry growers co-op in the Paw Paw area that sends blueberries up to smaller markets in the GR area. I managed to walk into the market in my teeny little town at the same time the blueberry delivery guy did. Had a great conversation about fruit and mead. ;D Anyway, if you can find these, they are GREAT blueberries. Best commerical ones I've had.

Too bad I lost the guys card... :(

David Baldwin
12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Scott,

Next blueberry season, I'll let you know when I'm going down to pick. I'll be driving by Clarksville on my way back home if you'd like a 5 gallon bucket of blueberries.

... I'm a sucker for a good barter... maybe a bit of mead and a tour of the next meadery in Michigan. ;D

David

ScottS
12-10-2004, 12:27 AM
I'd LOVE some good blueberries. Sounds like a deal. ;D