PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry, Mango, Passion fruit, White Grape Mel

Aggie4You
11-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Here goes...

Last night, I started a new melomel.

Here's my recipe

64 oz Welch's White Grape Mango Passion Fruit Juice
1 bag (16 oz) Great Value frozen Blackberries (no additives)
4 lbs honey (Sams brand... I'm assuming it's a mixed honey)
I realize that 4 lbs for a single gallon is a lot.
I'm hoping for sweet.
K1-V1116 yeast

Here's my procedure:

I started by sanitizing everything using one step (an oxygen based sanitizer). I love this stuff.

Once everything was sanitized to my satisfaction, I began the melomel. I started by heating the juice to about 150F. I then removed the juice from the heat and slowly added the honey while stirring.

Once the honey was incorporated, I removed the blackberries from their bag and placed them into a funnel with a strainer screen. I then poured the hot must over the frozen berries and into the original (plastic) juice container. I filled the 64 oz container and stopped. I then poured the contents of the container back into the remainder of the must. This cooled the must considerably. I repeated this procedure one more time. The must is already taking on a very nice reddish-purple tint. I took a quick taste and it was divine.

I then transferred the funnel to a one gallon glass carboy and poured about half of the must into the container (still pouring over the blackberries. I then removed the strainer and pushed the blackberries through the funnel. I added the yeast (K1-v1116) and added the rest of the must. I put a rubber stopper in the end and began the happy must shaking dance. After a few minutes, when I was convinced that the must was well mized and oxygenated, I stopped shaking, removed the rubber cork, and added an airlock (using cheap vodka instead of water). I placed this bottle into my unused bathtub with the rest of my creations.

I checked on it a few hours later and their didn't appear to be any activity yet, but I noticed that the vodka had been sucked into the first chamber (the wrong direction). I assume this is because the must cooled the air in teh bottle so that it contracted, thereby pulling the vodka into the first chamber of the airlock. When I checked it this morning, the vodka had moved into the second chamber (the proper one), but I didn't see any activity out of it. This could also be a function of internal air temperature. I figure I'll give it until tomorrow morning and if I still don't see any activity, I'll repitch the yeast (they may have gotten too cold). If that doesn't fix anything after a day or so, I'll see about adding some raisins for nutrient.

Unfortunately, my only hydrometer was broken about a week ago and I haven't rececived the replacement yet. I'll make another batch when it arrives (with some more airlocks) and give an estimated OG then. I realize that the OG can't include the balckberries, but I don't figure that they will change it that much. Also, I plan on making the next batch with D47 instead of the 1116

I'll post an update every few days (to a week) and respond to any comments, questions, or suggestions that require a response.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-07-2004, 02:16 AM
Aggie,

You never use your bathtub! *chuckle*

I thought there was a strange smell from the South yesterday! *grin*

Good luck on the batch. It sounds like it could be fantasic!

Aggie4You
11-07-2004, 08:06 PM
You never use your bathtub! *chuckle*

;) I figure if I put it in my bathtub and it overflows, I won't have a mess to deal with...

I thought there was a strange smell from the South yesterday! *grin*

It must have been the chili I had... :)

Good luck on the batch. It sounds like it could be fantasic!

Thanks, and I sure hope so.

Aggie4You
11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
well, I checked on it last night and it's bubbling about every 5 seconds. It's not as fast as I'd like, but I think it may pick up some more. On a side note... it looks amazing. :)

Jmattioli
11-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Aggie,
Sounds delicious. How you got the 4 lbs of honey and 64 oz of juice and the 16oz of blackberries into a 1 gallon container has to be amazing. The juice itself has about 40g of sugar per 8 oz which without the blueberries makes your equivalent to over 4 1/2 lbs of honey. It will be sweet and heavy bodied for sure. A real dessert mead.
Joe

Aggie4You
11-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Mmmmm... dessert...

The really amazing thing is that I managed to fit it all in with about 2.5 to 3 inches of headspace. I think that some of the juice may have evaporated during the process of "honey infusion".

Oh, and the 4 lbs of honey is just an estimate. I had a five pound container that I'd used about 20% of. It might actually be a touch less than than 4 lbs (3.5 min).

Aggie4You
11-14-2004, 11:53 PM
well, I started another batch of this to get an approximate OG reading. I would have taken one originally, but my hydrometer was broken. Unfortunately none of hte new hydrometers I've received go above 1.17, and this recipe is considerably higher than that. How frustrating. Ahh well... I guess I'll just have to make another batch when I get another hydrometer...

Anybody have a link to a hydrometer that goes up to around 1.3 or 1.4?

Jmattioli
11-15-2004, 05:57 AM
well, I started another batch of this to get an approximate OG reading. I would have taken one originally, but my hydrometer was broken. Unfortunately none of hte new hydrometers I've received go above 1.17, and this recipe is considerably higher than that. How frustrating. Ahh well... I guess I'll just have to make another batch when I get another hydrometer...

Anybody have a link to a hydrometer that goes up to around 1.3 or 1.4?

Aggie,
I'm sure that is a typo. Can't conceive why anyone would want to measure any must that high. It would probably never start with most yeasts. The 1.170 is also too high. It will make high alcohol syrup meads if you can get it started.
Joe

Aggie4You
11-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Ooops. When I was looking at the hydrometer, I was thinking that I had started most of my meads at 1.2 (actually, it was 1.12) and this would definitely be sweeter than my other meads. I guess I probably could have measured it after all. Darn, now I'll have to make up another batch for no good reason. :)

I think I'm going to rack the first one this weekend (two weeks after starting) to get it off the berries and allow me to add one of my new super-tiny-extra-fancy-leave-it-in-the-mead hydrometers, then I'll leave it alone for a while.

P.S. Any thoughts on where i should stop this one? I was thinking somewhere between 1.03 and 1.04 if it gets that low.

Edited to add P.S.

Aggie4You
12-07-2004, 10:41 PM
The OG of this recipe was WAY to high (around 1.19 by my estimation). It was fermenting, but it was going VERY slowly. I decided to split a gallon up into two gallons and top with water. This process must have made the yeast very happy, because I quickly had a foam on top and both jugs are now bubbling away at about a bubble a second.

I plan to repeat this procedure as soon as I get a spare gallon jug. :)

Also, I finally found a source for my gallon jugs that I don't have to pay an outrageuos amount for. Wal-Mart has a small section of foods in bulk containers and they carrry a 1 gallon jug of Louisianna hot sauce in a glass container for under $4. Now i just have to figure out what to do with the hot sauce and I'll be good ot go. Chili anyone?

P.S. I believe that the hot sauce has a good deal of vinegar in it. Any special precautions I should take or will my normal sterilization process (clean well with soap and water, rinse well, sterilize with one step) be enough?

Jmattioli
12-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Your sterilizion procedure should be okay. Just rinse a few extra times for good measure after a good scrub.
I wouldn't recommend you do another batch spliting after this as you will then have a thin diluted mead.
Joe

Aggie4You
12-07-2004, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't recommend you do another batch spliting after this as you will then have a thin diluted mead.
Joe

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I plan on splitting a second gallon of the super concentrated version (OG 1.19), not either of the already diluted versions. Interestingly, the first batch had fermented to 1.16 when I split it.

Depending on the taste, I may decide to throw some fruit in the secondary when the time comes, but we'll see about that when it happens.

New OG (after split) = 1.08

IIRC, the % alcohol when I split was about 5% and I should have halved that when I added the water. I figure the final will be the percent fermented from 1.08 to completion +2.5%. Does that seem reasonable?

CosmicCharlie
12-08-2004, 09:37 PM
BTHO TN

Aggie4You
12-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Whoop!

Or should it be BTHO UT?

CosmicCharlie
12-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Right, UT, not to be confused with tu.

Aggie4You
12-09-2004, 12:36 AM