PDA

View Full Version : Passion Fruit mead?

JamesB
10-24-2004, 03:14 AM
Has anyone ever done a mead with passion fruit? What yeast is the best one to use? I'm open to suggestions.

Oskaar
10-24-2004, 06:16 AM
I've done papaya and mango. They were both excellent, but they take a long . . . long . . . long time to clear.

I've never used an actual "Passion-Fruit" but I would be willing to try some if you make it ;)

Oskaar

Talon
10-24-2004, 06:46 PM
I've made a passion fruit mead using passion fruit nectar instead of water. It's cleared really quickly and look awesome! I used the Red Star Montrachet yeast as that's what the recipe called for.

Should you desire the recipe, let me know.

Talon.

ronjohn55
10-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Has anyone ever done a mead with passion fruit? What yeast is the best one to use? I'm open to suggestions.

On the HBD, there were some complaints about one of the dry lager yeasts, I think it was Saflager 23 (S-23) that was throwing esters that were being described as 'passion fruit'. If that's what you're shooting for, it might be worth considering.

John
Dearborn, MI

JamesB
10-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Talon,
Please do give me your recipe. Here's what I'm planning on using:

1 gallon of passion fruit juice concentrate
2 gallons of orange blossom honey
1/2 cup of chopped raisins.
Betonite and Irish moss to clarify..maybe also some pectic enzyme.
Chablis yeast.

Everyone, please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Oskaar
10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Hey James,

That sounds really good to me! I think that pectic enzyme will come in handy unless the passion fruit juice is already clear. But where's the fun in that!?

Sounds like a yummy recipe.

Oskaar

Talon
10-26-2004, 06:08 PM
This is the passion fruit recipe. I'm sorry to say that I've not created this myself, but it is awesome and clears very quickly. In less than 2 months it's drinkable.

Passion Fruit Melomel
Yield: 4 Gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.140
Finishing Gravity: 1.040
Time in Boil: None
Primary Fermentation: 5 weeks
Secondary Fermentation: 4 weeks
Additional Fermentation:
Ingredients:

12 pounds (1 gal.) Orange Blossom honey
16 quarts (4 gal.) Stevens Passion Fruit Nectar
2 small boxes (3 oz.) chopped raisins (in starter)
15 drops pectic enzyme
1 teaspoon Irish moss
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup strong tea
1 packet Montrechet yeast

Procedure:
1. Made a yeast starter solution the day before. Used I quart Stevens Passion fruit nectar, raisins, and Montrechet yeast. Strong bubbling the next day.

2. Heated seven quarts of Stevens Passion fruit nectar and one gallon of Orange blossom honey at 145 - 155 for 20 minutes Skimmed scum. Added Irish moss and one cup strong tea. Cooled to 85. Poured remainder of Stevens Passion fruit nectar into carboy and added honey mixture and pectic enzyme.

3. Tested pH (3.3). Added 1-tablespoon baking soda (pH now 4.2). Tested starting gravity (1.140) Added yeast starter solution. Shook vigorously to aerate.

4. Left in the primary fermentation vessel for five weeks. Strong bubbling for the first four weeks, with lots of sediment. Racked into secondary fermenter at five weeks, when bubbling slowed and it had begun clearing. Two weeks later, the bubbling was very slow. At week four the mead was very clear, with no bubbling.

5. Bottled after four weeks in secondary. Aged four months before Meadllennium January 2003.
Notes:

Probably should have racked one more time, and let it bulk age for one month, before bottling.

JamesB
10-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Is baking soda the same as calcium carbonate used to neutralize acid? ???

Oskaar
10-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Baking soda is Sodium Bi-carbonate as opposed to Calcium Carbonate.

Baking soda leavens bread because when water or milk is added, the acid-base neutralization takes place, producing gaseous carbon dioxide and water. The carbon dioxide becomes trapped in the batter, and when heated the gas expands to create the characteristic texture of biscuits and breads.

Calcium carbonate is better known as limestone most limestone is composed of calcite, which is the low-temperature form of calcium carbonate. Those pretty stalagtites and stalagmites you see in Carlsbad Caverns are Calcium Carbonate.

Oskaar

Talon
10-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Will be bottling my passion fruit mel this week-end and will have to give you guys an update on how it tastes... *grins* I've been assured by the gent who made the recipe that it was an award winning mead. We will soon see. ;)

JamesB
10-31-2004, 04:59 AM
Oskaar,
Which one is better to use for mead making? ???

Oskaar
10-31-2004, 05:11 AM
Pesonally I prefer calcium carbonate. I've never used baking soda because of the salty kind of flavor it leaves.

Cheers,
Oskaar

Talon
10-31-2004, 10:56 PM
I only used the baking soda simply because that's what the recipe called for. Otherwise, I'd have used Calcium Carbonate.

I didn't get to bottle as I was hoping as I had a massive allergy attack on Saturday and came down with a sinus infection... Will hopefully bottle tomorrow or Wednesday.

Talon.

Talon
11-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I finally bottled this recipe.

It's got one heck of an alcohol burn to it! Whew! It really warmed going down, let me tell you! WOW!

Other than that, you could taste the passionfruit coming through as well as a subtle orange flavor from the honey I used. The nose was really good, too. Had a great fruity smell of passionfruit.

I'll have to post more once I have let it age for a while. That alcohol burn really caught me off guard and I didn't concentrate on taste too much... I can't tell too well right now if it's a dry or a sweet as I forgot to take SG readings and I can't quite tell by taste just yet as the burn just grabs ya.

On a good note, it did clear in a month after primary and was ready to bottle. I let it sit to degas first, though.

Talon.

no1meadwench
11-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Okay folks,

Just have to add my two cents here.
Talon's passion fruit mead is awesome, after being bottled for 2-3 days it mellowed, the burn wasn't there and the taste of passion fruit was great. Was taken and sampled by some other people and it was received well.

Here's a nickle for my two cents, does that give me a credit for more input? ;)

Diosa

Talon
11-07-2004, 08:42 PM
*blushes brightly*
Thank you for the kind words! ;)

I finally realized, after reading one of Joe Mattioli's posts why there was a burn from the alcohol. It's becuase the montrachet yeast was pushed to it's maximum and will take just a tid-bit to mellow. Albeit mellowing very fast! *grins* I think it was a combination of the honey and the passionfruit nectar that I used which is why it's mellowing so quickly.

Jmattioli
11-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Yes, I noticed even in Ken's Book that in his experience melomels always mellow more quickly than straight meads. A little time will do wonders with fruit.
Joe

Talon
11-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Oh and what a beauty this mead is turning out to be!
I'm going to have to make this a mainstay in my mead making. ;)

Talon
11-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Went on vacation this past week-end and took a bottle of this batch. OMG it was awesome! I passed it around and when people took a sip, they didn't want to give up the cup!

This DEFINATELY will be in my normal brew closet repetoir! *grins* Now to afford the passion fruit nectar...

JamesB
12-04-2004, 04:43 AM
About one month later, and fermentation on my passion fruit mead has almost stopped. I tried a sample of it. The taste is definately on the tart side with some sourness too. Hoping to reduce the sourness, I added some calcium carbonate.

I have a 1 oz. bottle of passion fruit flavoring from www.naturesflavors.com, but I don't think it's really needed.

Now I'm wondering if I should add a little honey to each bottle after carbonating it in a keg for a week in an attempt to counter the tartness. Any thoughts??

Jmattioli
12-04-2004, 08:59 AM
James,
Best advice is to let it age first before messing much with it. You may overdo it before it mellows naturally. That is hard to undo. Honey addition is okay to counter some sourness or tartness but you might have been to quick with the calcium carbonate.
Joe

JamesB
12-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Tonight, it got filtered into the keg. Having sampled it, I really don't think the calcium carbonate weakened the acidity at all. After a week of artificial carbonation, it'll get bottled. I'm thinking of adding about a teaspoon of honey to each bottle to counter the sourness and tartness.

Jmattioli, I hope you're right about the taste mellowing out a bit after a couple of months in the bottle.