PDA

View Full Version : Alexander The Great Mead

exmoor_cat
12-05-2004, 02:01 AM
To tie in with the movie, I would like to reccomend the following, easy to make recipe, if a little large on the quantities.

12 gallons of fresh spring water (tap water will do if you are not able to obtain a decent local source)
3 gallons of Greek honey (this is obtainable in bulk from several reputable Greek and Cypriot wholesalers
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
12 cloves
6 sticks of cinnamon
1 26 year old male corpse
nutmeg to taste

Oskaar
12-05-2004, 02:23 AM
!!!!POOCH ALERT!!!!

Feedback from two of my friends who are history buffs and share my "warped" sense of humor have panned Alexander as being a complete DOG of a movie. They both said the movie was flat and just downright bad, thus earning the canine classification.

Cheers,

Oskaar

JamesB
12-05-2004, 03:33 AM
Oskaar,
What's your opinion of the recipe posted above? Of course, the corpse would be removed!

Oskaar
12-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Hey James,

Looks like a total yield of 15 gallons to me so I'd guess a gravity of about 1.096 - 1.135 depending on the calculation you like to use.

I'd throttle back the cloves from 12 to 10 just because it's easier to add more than it is to dilute them out.

EC-1118 seems like it would be pretty dry at that mixture ratio, I might use the 71B or D-47, maybe the Cotes de Blanc as I have heard some good things about it lately.

That would be my take on the recipe. What do you think about the honey? I've never used either Greek or Cypriot honey and have no clue as to how it would taste or act in mead.

Regards,

Oskaar

Cinnamon seems OK, but the nutmeg should go in pretty conservatively initially.

exmoor_cat
12-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Bugger I did it again, not including the honey mass within the water mass.
Re-run with 9 gallons of water.

Oskaar
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
OK,

That makes more sense. It will be a pretty high gravity must so you may need to make a starter to get it going. The EC-1118 should work fine in this batch.

Is that right then, 36 lbs honey into 9 gal H2O for a total yield of 12 gallons of must?

Oskaar

Caerwyn
12-06-2004, 12:02 AM
you forgot Hephestion. Mr. 'The Great' just isn't the same without his S.O. ;)

Its almost as bad as 'Troy' (AKA: My big, fat, greek blood-letting), but not as bad as Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (AKA: Crouching Yoda, Hidden Saber).

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
12-06-2004, 06:20 AM
OooooH! Harsh... although I've not seen the Alexander or the Troy. I did see the Star Wars... only because I've seen the others that you've got to see the this chapter or risk being lost... ;)

Now... the 26 year old in the must.... is this for flavor... or nutrient.... or energizer. Prolly energizer... a 26 year old would have more energy than a 50 year old. You know what they say about quality ingredients.... he he he .. ;D

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress