PDA

View Full Version : Lychee mead?

JamesB
11-07-2004, 04:18 AM
Has anyone ever done a mead with lychees? Where did you get the ingredients? How did it turn out? ::)

jab
11-07-2004, 10:04 AM
I had not thought if this before. I believe that would be an interesting quaff. I have only had lychee's at a local Chinese joint. Keep us updated if you find a supplier.

JamesB
11-09-2004, 06:19 AM
Here's a supplier:
http://www.lycheesonline.com/

They're going to send me some lychee syrup with which I'll try making a sample five gallon batch. I'm planning on using clover honey, but haven't decided yet on a yeast to use. Any suggestions? :P

jab
11-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Well, by most standards I am pretty new to the sport. I have a few batches under my belt and another few in the closet. I have become partial to Montrachet. The last one stuck on me but other than that it has been a wonderful worker.

Oh, and thanks for the link I will check them out.

jab
11-27-2004, 04:15 AM
At this point I would have to suggest that people not use http://www.lycheesonline.com/. Their service is horrible and they are not friendly netizens.

I first inquired about their honey after JamesB suggested the link. I noticed that they sold honey but in 1 lb. jars. I asked if it would be possible to get it in larger quantities and if I could get a quote. It was suggested to me to just buy the syrup.

I sent another email stating that I am sure their syrup was fine but I was interested in the honey.

A week goes by with no response. I send another request. Another week and no response.

Finally I sent a somewhat pointed reply about their lack of customer service and how it would have been better for them to just say no from the beginning. I did get a reply stating something about them having all sorts of issues with this and that...and that I should just buy the syrup.

Again I replied that I didn't want the syrup and that I was only interested in the honey. I thanked them for finally replying and that they should contact me once they have a quote for me on the honey.

Now today I get an email from them. Spam. Some crappy newsletter that I never requested and that doesn't comply with CAN-SPAM.

Just wanted to let others know what they are in for if they work with this company.

-jb

JamesB
11-28-2004, 05:28 AM
I bought a jar of their lychee honey last year to try out. Although it tasted good as honey goes, my instincts told me it wouldn't be suitable for mead making. It didn't taste at all like lychee fruit.

I talked to the guy on the phone around Nov.9th to ask if they sold a lychee juice concentrate. When told it was for mead, he recommended using the syrup instead. He said it is very concentrated. He promised to send me three sample bottles of it for a 5 gallon batch in return for my sending him a bottle of my finished product next spring. So far, nothing has been delivered to me.

Meanwhile, I have put in a request to www.naturesflavors.com for a lychee juice concentrate. Maybe if a couple others also submit this request to them, they'll add it to their inventory. I've had excellent service so far from naturesflavors.com