PDA

View Full Version : Multi fruit melomel

Aggie4You
11-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, I had a friend stop by today and we decided to throw together a few gallons.

recipe:
128 oz Welch's Black Cherry Cranberry Juice
32 oz Great Value frozen mixed fruits
~8 pounds of honey
Lalvin K1V-1116

The procedure was basically the same as I used for the White grape melomel I started about a week ago except that I doubled the recipe and then split the must between two 1 gallon carboys. This will be my friends first mead.

I took an OG before adding the fruit. I'm starting to think that I may have added too much honey to these batches and the White Grape batches. My hydrometer goes to 1.17 and these were of the scale. I estimated about 1.19, :o which would give about 24-25% potential alcohol. I do believe that I'll end up having to add some water to these after racking to drop the sweetness down some. Even if the yeast goes to 18%, that still leaves an exceptionally sweet final product.

Questions: If this turns out to be way to sweet, can I just add water and let it ferment some more? Will it start back up (it will assuredly have more sugar available)? Would it be better to rack it into halves now and fill the rest with water?

I think that this weekend, I'll rack half of one of the latest gallons off (into another gallon bottle) and then fill them both with water. Then, I can see the difference in doing it at the beginning and waiting until the end.

Aggie4You
11-25-2004, 10:30 AM
11-20-05: SG = 1.16

Well, today I decided it was time to kick start the fermentation (it was going along quite slowly for good reason) and do a little experimenting at the same time.

I started by racking one gallon into 2 one gallon jugs (1/2 gallon into each jug). To the first (exhibit A), I added 1/2 gallon of the Black Cherry/ Cranberry juice I originally used. To the second, I added 1/2 gallon of pure water. I also dropped in one of my mini hydrometers. I also pitched 1/2 packet of K1V-1116 into each jug (just to make sure).

Exhibit A SG=1.08
Exhibit B SG=1.06

After two hours:

Exhibit A was bubbling along merrily (about 1 bubble/2 seconds). Both Exhibit A and Exhibit B had a small amount of foam on top. Exhibit B didn't seem to be bubbling any more than previously.

Next morning: Some time during the night, Exhibit B foamed all the way into the airlock (3-piece). It doesn't seem to have gotten into the liquid (cheap vodka), so I'm not going to worry about it. It's bubbling almost as quickly as exhibit A.