PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Crabapple Mead recipe

crazycrouch
09-13-2004, 06:41 AM
I am looking for a crabapple mead recipe, any help will be greatly helpful.

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
09-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I've got crabbapples (sounds kinda personal doesn't it ;) ) too so I'd be interested in a recipe too. I'll have to go out and pick my crop. Since Crabapples have such a pucker effect, I'm thinking you wouldn't want to use a lot of them.

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
10-24-2004, 01:50 AM
OK... started a Crabapple mead today... I used Thirsty Viking's Apple cyser and added whole crabapples to the batch. I also made a plain cyser using the same recipe but without the crabapples as a comparison. So these are my twins. Batches 3 & 4.
Here's the method of my madness.....

Ingredients....
3/4 gallon apple cider
5 C Honey (abt 2.5 - 3 lbs)
2 C Artesian Well Water
1/2 pack of Champagne yeast.
2 C crabapples

I warmed the honey in a pan of water, (120 deg). In a one gallon, large mouth pickle jar, I added 3/4 gallon apple cider. To this I added 5 C of honey. put the lid on it and aerated it with the shaking, jiggling method. (I shook it and I jiggled ;)) Good thing my hub was outside or I'd not have finished the batch. ;D
To to this I added the half pack of yeast. (Why half a pack... cuz it says it's enough for a 5 gallon batch. Too much for a one gallon?)
I made both batches at the same time up to this point... then I added to one, 2 C washed crabapples. These were picked about 2 weeks ago... I cut out the stem part and the flourette parts and peeled halfway to expose the meat of the apple but not the seeds.
Then I topped off both jars with my well water to the bottom of the short neck. Capped them with powderfree latex gloves and they then joined the nursery of other batches.
I will keep you all informed as to the end results... according to TV's recipe... about 35 days.
My yeast... I used Red Star Pastaeur Champagne yeast... the pack says it's enough for a 5 gallon batch... so I split it between my two one gallons.
Question??? Should I have used the full packet per one gal? by splitting have I still used too much yeast? or Will the yeast just finish when the nutrients are gone?

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-24-2004, 03:41 AM
SuzyQ,

I think you'll be fine on the yeast...

My concern would be about how long you leave the must on the crabapples. Since I am so new to meadmaking, I can only raise a caution, not provide much detail...

Anyone else have an opinion as to how long to leave the must on the crabapples?

crazycrouch
10-24-2004, 08:10 AM
I have a friend that is going to send me a crabapple wine recipe and we were thinking of using that as a guide line. I will post the recipe as soon as I get it and let you all know What we decide to do.

Thanks alot for your replys it helps!!!! ;D

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
10-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Day two of the Crabapple Cyser.... I'm using the latex glove as my airlock on both the Crabapple & plain Apple Cyser... the Crabapple Cyser's glove is full and waving (fermenting)... the Apple Cycer's glove is still flat (not fermenting yet??).
I think the crabapples speeded up fermentation.

:-*Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
11-10-2004, 05:07 AM
11-09-04
I tested all of my mead batches for SG & Tastes....
My Crabapple & Thirsty Viking Cyser were made the same only I added the Crabapples to one and not the other. I call these two batches my twins.
Each is a one gallon...
The Crabapple Cyser
Red Star Champagne Yeast
10-24-04 - SG = 1.130
11-09-04 - SG = 1.040 est Brix 12
It should end up med/sweet but with the crabapples added it may be a pucker sweet. which will be ok.

Taste so far is an alcholic harsh taste... but it's in the fermenting stages. I topped it off with well water only... (Perhaps I should have added some honey to it?)

The Thirsty Viking Cyser
Red STar Champagne Yeast
10-24-04 - SG - 1.130
11-09-04 - SG = 1.050 est Brix 13
It should also end up a med/sweet mead.

Taste so far is also and alch. harsh.

They are both under the latex glove seal.... I've not gotten the 1 gallon carboys yet. Store is out.

Will keep you posted....

:) :-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
11-11-2004, 08:25 AM
After chilling my sample for a day or two... the taste is now not so harsh... the pucker value comes out too.