• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hot Cinnamon Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Andrew_T._Deutsch

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2004
I am a home brewer looking into trying my hand at a mead. I was reading a historical fiction book series about England around 400 A.D. ish and they kept refering to a hot and spicy cinnamon mead that warmed the "cochols" on cold nights. I have never made a mead before but am very interested in finding a recipe that will point me in the right direction as to amounts of cinnamon and any other spices to add for this warming effect. Any help is greatly appreciated.

AD

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Hello,

Welcome to the Wonderful World of mead. If ever Patience was a Virtue it is with mead.
I have 2 Pieces of advice for you...
1) if you have reasonable spare wealth, make two batches.
Make 1 batch a cyser so you have something to drink when you lose patience with not drinking the other batch :)

2) Mead Should be 1 year old before consumpion begins in the opinion of most people. (Cyser is better at one year, but very good early)

3) ok had more than two, the following recipe's and links are second hand... i haven't made Cinnamon Mead.

From my Archives I have

Atomic Fire Ball Mead by Red Sonja....

> > http://home.ggn.net/~redsonja/mead26.html
Page has been moved
http://www.katzengard.org/brewing/mead26.html

Phils Dragons Blood, (he posts here as Dogglebe (sp?) and may comment) I'll be making a Varient of this Batch if I can get the cherries.

> Ahhhh, my little red valkyrie, while your atomic fireball mead is
> indeed a wonderful treat, it pales in comparison to my Dragon's Blood
> (which I'll be bottling this weekend).
>
> DRAGON's BLOOD
>
> Simmer in 1.5 gallons of water for 30 minutes:
> 15# orange blossom honey
> .5 ounce cinnamon
> 2 tablespoons nutrients
> 1 tspn citric acid.
>
> top off to five gallons and pitch pasteur dry champagne yeast.
>
> two weeks later, simmer 5# orange blossom honey and 11.5 pounds of
> bing cherries in .5 gallon water. Add to secondary fermenter and rack
> 5 gallon batch. Add pectic acid.
>
> Rack as needed.
>
> Started gravity: 1.148
> Finishing gravity: 1.024
>
> Yummy!
>
>
> Phil

Edit: Corrected address for Red Sonja's atomic Fireball mead

Andrew_T._Deutsch

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2004
Thanks for the reply Thirsty Viking. I am a very patient person, I have an Imperial Stout that has been kegged for about that long so I should be ok just keg it and sit it under the stairs for a year or so (racking it every so often of course)...

The Atomic Fire ball Mead looks exactly like what I had in mind title wise but the link is not working properly... Could you try posting again please?

The recipe I have so far calls for 14 lbs honey in 3.75 gallons water, 31 cinnamon sticks and 12 oz ginger (all added together at same time).

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I have made my fair share of metheglin (spiced mead) and spiced cider. i tend to like cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon and try to avoid cloves as i have had a bad experience with them. i have two peices of advice for you. the first is that if a recipe calls for whole spices, (whole cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, etc.) be wary of substituting with ground spices. then tend not to taste as good, yet release alot more essential oils, so you end up with more spice flavor of less quality than you wanted. the second thing is to remember that you can always add more spice but you cant take it out. i like the spice to accent the flavor of the honey, not overpower it, so i tend to err on the side of caution figuring i can always add more spice at racking if need be. i've never done it to a mead but i definately rendered a cider undrinkable by over spicing it (this was following a recipe i found on the internet mind you)...even after diluting it with more cider to try and fix it, it was still vial substance.

Helios

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2004
I AM PRESENTLY AGING AN APPLE PIE MEAD WHICH IS JUST HONEY APPLES AND CINNAMON. AT THIS POINT ( 16 MONTHS) i AM FINDING THAT THE cINNAMON IS QUIET NOTICABLE. SO MUCH SO THAT IT IS OVER POWERING THE APPLE. i SUGGEST YOU LISTEN TO THE WARNING THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD BUT NEVER REMOVE.....i AM PRESENTLY STARTING A STRAIGHT MEAD BATCH TO TRY TO CULL THE OTHERS TASTE.

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
I noticed thtis with a cherry cinnamon mead I made a few years ago. The cinnamon flavor intensifies while the rest mellows out. Does this mean that you have to plan when I have to drink the batch?

Phil

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns