• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Open for suggestions...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
Uncle Sam needs me, I have enough time to make a batch of Tupelo Mead. Here's my projected recipe, I'll apologize now, it will offend the purists of our group :-*;

(21 gallons)
60# Tupelo Honey
2 tsp Tannin
10 tsp Yeast Nutrient
5 tsp Yeast Energizer
5 tsp Ghostex (yeast hulls)
WYeast Dry Mead 3632
Wine Makers Anti Foam
2 1/4# Tupelo Honey
1 1/4 Tsp Potassium Sorbate
Kitosol 40 (clarifier)
Potassium Bisulfate (@kegging-5/16 tsp per 5 gallon keg)

End game, I plan on having 4 kegs, 2 dry (still and sparkling) and 2 sweetened (still and sparkling). ;D

Question is, will it be fine in the primary (glass carboys) until my return (6 months or more)? Or should I make arrangements to have it racked to a secondary? ???

I value everyone's opinion, any suggestions on the recipe? Recommend a mix? I also have wild flower and clover in stock.

I know Tupelo can have a high acid level, any ideas on a balanced titration level? (I was thinking .50-.55%, adjusting as necessary with acid blend or calcium carbonate.)

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
The only worry I would have is letting it sit on the dead yeastie-beasties that long. I have been told that will alter the taste of the Mead, tho I have not experienced it myself. I would have someone rack it one time and leave it at that. Maybe 2.5 to 3 months into it. At least, that would be my suggestion.

GOOD LUCK!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I would definately make arrangements to have someone rack.

I have made batches for friends that have been left in primary vessels on the original yeast for over a year. It has a distinct nose and aroma which is not unpleasant, the mead is sweet or dry depending on what recipe you use, but there is a marked mousiness with a streak of astringency in the flavor. The yeast imparts a very marked yeast characteristic that takes a lot of getting used to.

Not my first choice off the rack.

Keep your head down and your sh!t wired tight!

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns