PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Snap Mead

Jmattioli
08-11-2004, 03:34 AM
Just something I thought I would pass on that I have tried with good results. My friends seem to always like it. Next time you make your straight mead and it is done fermenting and ready to rack and you know you will need a little something to top it off, instead rack it over a bottle of snapple tea such as peach or other flavor you like. You can even use diet snapple as it will sweeten it up a bit and add a small but discernible character to your mead. Everybody likes Snapple!
I use a blend of clover and buckwheat K1v, .6t tannin with SG no more than 1.100 ( lower is better or stop at 1.025 instead of sweetening) rack on to 1 bottle of Peach Snapple in secondary. Keep the Alcohol content low 10% and keep it a bit sweet. It is drinkable as soon as it clears and if the alcohol content is not high enough for you ..... Use a bigger glass
Joe

WikdWaze
08-11-2004, 03:37 AM
Sounds yummy.

Oskaar
08-11-2004, 03:51 AM
Hey Joe,

Have you ever tried that with Lemonade? I've got half a mind (and I'm still looking for the other half) to give it a try with a small batch. Call me krazy, but I love Pink Lemonade and have always wondered about using it in the secondary. That would be just the concentrate and not the bottled type.

My fear was about the pH and how far the concentrate would throw it off, and how it would affect the secondary and aging process.

Where's my pH meter anyhow???

Oskaar

Jmattioli
08-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Its worth a try. At the secondary stage the PH won't much matter as fermentation should be about done. In fact, it might be a good idea to kill it (sabilize it) at that point so you don't have to wait for the lemonade to ferment (sour) and then age out. I'd recommend it not for aging but to drink right away . Thats another reason not to use the concentrate, as all you need is a bigger glass. The Snapple tea never soured or fermented as lemon or citris does as it already has preservatives in it and just blends in nicely adding tannins and that Snapple character without aging. Perfect for a quick tastey snap mead.
Joe

Oskaar
08-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi Joe,

What size bottle of snapple to what size batch of mead are you suggesting? Seems like it would be the regular sized bottle of Snapple (16 oz?) to one gallon of show mead. Is that about right?

Thanks,

Oskaar

Jmattioli
08-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Hi Joe,

What size bottle of snapple to what size batch of mead are you suggesting? Seems like it would be the regular sized bottle of Snapple (16 oz?) to one gallon of show mead. Is that about right?
Thanks,
Oskaar
Yes, 1 16Oz Snapple to one gallon at racking.
Joe

WikdWaze
08-13-2004, 03:15 AM
Along similar lines, I've been thinking about a "tranquilizer" mead. Sweet mead, lightly spiced, with chamomile (sp?) tea. Serve it warm in a coffe cup for those chilly winter nights. Does Snapple make chamomile tea?

Oskaar
08-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Dude,

A warm glass of mead without anything else IS a tranquilizer! Give one of those to Mrs Wikd and then hit her up for the cash to make your first batch.

Oskaar

WikdWaze
08-14-2004, 06:19 AM
Dude,

A warm glass of mead without anything else IS a tranquilizer! Give one of those to Mrs Wikd and then hit her up for the cash to make your first batch.

Oskaar
;D We'll see soon how well that works.