PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo-mead

WikdWaze
08-11-2004, 03:49 AM
This is a bit of a silly idea, but it has potential. Instead of going through all the trouble of mixing up a batch of mead and waiting for it to finish before you find out if the recipe is good, why not make a sample "pseudo-mead"? Just fill a tall glass with water, your chosen honey, and whatever fruit juices/spices you are thinking about, then add some vodka to get the desired alcohol content. As long as you got the proportions right it should come pretty close to the final taste, wouldn't it? I know this is goofy, but seems better to waste a glassful of ingredients than a gallon or five gallons worth. I'm not sure if you could simulate a braggot, and sparkling meads would be tricky, but it seems plausible for most of the rest.

JoeM
08-11-2004, 04:53 AM
think of it this way...if you took a glass of grape juice and added some vodka to it would it taste like wine? just as wine doesnt taste like grape juice, mead doesnt taste like honey. of course wine retains some of the fruity characteristics of the grapes, and mead retains some of the floral characteristics of the honey, but the process of fermentation does alot more than just adding alcohol. it greatly alters the flavor profile of whatever you're starting with.

WikdWaze
08-11-2004, 03:49 PM
think of it this way...if you took a glass of grape juice and added some vodka to it would it taste like wine? just as wine doesnt taste like grape juice, mead doesnt taste like honey. of course wine retains some of the fruity characteristics of the grapes, and mead retains some of the floral characteristics of the honey, but the process of fermentation does alot more than just adding alcohol. it greatly alters the flavor profile of whatever you're starting with.
Logical enough.

I have to say, every wine I've ever tried tasted almost exactly like grape juice mixed with vodka. I'm sure I've never sampled any truly "fine" wines, but I still don't see what all the fuss is about.

Jmattioli
08-11-2004, 07:42 PM
WilkdWaze,
JoeM's post is not only logical and suggestive on results but based on real experience. It probably would be good for you to try your
This is a bit of a silly idea, but it has potential and then try the real thing so you can better understand the wisdom of his post. I think your recipe as previously posted has real potential in making a unique tastey mead (braggot) that you can be proud of when its done. I only wish you would get it started so you can share with us the progress as it unfolds and then the results.
Sincerely, Joe

Oskaar
08-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Hey Wikd,

I concur with Joe and Joe. I'm an avid wine aficionado and few if any of the wines I have gulped have tasted like grape juice and vodka (which by the way is a very tasty drink if mixed properly using white and purple grape juice, a couple squeezes of key lime, some bruised mint and a splash of Tom Collins mix . . . but I digress)

The relevant point is, as the Joe's alluded to, that the process of fermentation inexorably changes the character of the unfermented juice. Whether it is grapes, honey, or steeped malt, the effect is a fundamental change in the aroma, character, appearance, and flavor of the original product.

Otherwise, we'd all be mixing up honey cocktails and brewing would be kind of unnecessary. That would be bogus!

Cheers,

Oskaar

WikdWaze
08-12-2004, 01:16 AM
WilkdWaze,
JoeM's post is not only logical and suggestive on results but based on real experience. It probably would be good for you to try your
and then try the real thing so you can better understand the wisdom of his post. I think your recipe as previously posted has real potential in making a unique tastey mead (braggot) that you can be proud of when its done. I only wish you would get it started so you can share with us the progress as it unfolds and then the results.
Sincerely, Joe
No need for me to touch the pot once I've been told it's hot. I've had three knowledgeable individuals tell me it wouldn't work, that's good enough for me. I might still mix some up one day just to see if it was a passable drink, not to test a recipe.

Thanks for the kind words for my recipe. I did a lot of research and put a lot of thought into those ingredients. I do think it will turn out a fine drink.

Believe me, if I could start my batch today I would. A recent, minor typographical error on the part of Mrs. Wikd has caused $150 in overdraft charges. Combine this with the fact that not all my "spare" money is allocated to mead production and you have a splendid little s.n.a.f.u. They say that into every life a little rain must fall, we're in monsoon season.

Jmattioli
08-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Wikdwaze,
Are you anywhere close to Kentucky or southern Ohio? I would be happy to help get you started with some glass carboys and airlocks and extra yeast I have. Might even throw in enough buckwheat for your recipe. No charge of course.
Joe

Norskersword
08-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Cheers for being such a nice guy Joe!

Wikd, after reading your posts for awile I can't help but wonder if we are sharing the same girlfriend or something. Overdraft charges? Monsoon season? We are seemingly going through the exact same stages of life at the same time.

Maybe you are a multiple personality of mine that I created that I am unware of and sometimes I switch to it and post things for my other self to read. Like in those movies Fight Club, Secret Window, or Identity! :o

WikdWaze
08-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Wikdwaze,
Are you anywhere close to Kentucky or southern Ohio? I would be happy to help get you started with some glass carboys and airlocks and extra yeast I have. Might even throw in enough buckwheat for your recipe. No charge of course.
Joe I'm in Augusta, GA, Not terribly far from Kentucky, but not exactly next door neighbors. I sincerely appreciate the offer.

Wikd, after reading your posts for awile I can't help but wonder if we are sharing the same girlfriend or something. Overdraft charges? Monsoon season? We are seemingly going through the exact same stages of life at the same time.

Maybe you are a multiple personality of mine that I created that I am unware of and sometimes I switch to it and post things for my other self to read. Like in those movies Fight Club, Secret Window, or Identity!Maybe we're sub-atomic particles with the same spin acting in unison despite great distance. ;D

Norskersword
08-13-2004, 01:10 AM
This is a good example of a "General Discussion" mentioned in the other posting. I get the feeling Joe went strait from here to starting the Chat Room thread.

WikdWaze
08-13-2004, 01:25 AM
I don't mind when one of my threads gets off-topic, as long as I've gotten the information I was after.