PDA

View Full Version : Durian melomel

dogglebe
05-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Cut and paste from rcm:

The other day, I racked my durian melomel into tertiary and thought I'd share my experience with it.

A durian is a large, ugly fruit from southeast Asia. They weigh eight to ten pounds each and are covered with a hard spikey shell. They resemble frightened puffer fish and are hard to pick up without gloves.

Durians are considered to be the fruit of gods. The meat of the fruit tastes similar to vanilla custard, and looks like scrambled eggs. Cutting the fruit open poses a problem. Aside from the above-mentioned spikes, they stink to high heaven. I think the smell comes from the shell you don't experience it in the fruit. The fruit has large stones in them, about the size of strawberries.

On 5/5, I made a four gallon batch of mead, using ten pounds of wildflower honey and added a 1/4 teaspoon of pectic enzyme. I used a large smack pack of Wyeast sweet mead yeast.

On 5/10, I racked to secondary and added 8 pounds of Durian meat. Twice a day, I pushed the durian under the surface to make sure it all fermented. The smell was a little funky, though not like the fruit's shell.

On 5/18, I racked to tertiary. The batch is a milky yellow color and there is already significant sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

More on this story as it develops.

Phil

jab
05-28-2004, 12:55 AM
That fruit sounds pretty cool. Where may I ask can you get a durian?

Let us know how it turns out!

-jb

dogglebe
06-08-2004, 11:07 AM
I found them in Chinatown, in Manhattan. They're sold everywhere.

I'll be racking to tertiary by the end of this month.

Phil

yabb_unknown_usr
06-13-2004, 05:24 AM
The best place to find them north of the border is in Kensington Market in Toronto, the asian section of the market will yeild the best fruits from that area, don't confuse the smell with that of the cheese shop down the street though.

dogglebe
06-29-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm sure the cheese shop doesn't smell as bad as a ripe durian.

Oskaar
06-30-2004, 12:11 PM
You've obviously never inhaled a ripe batch of Venezuelan Beaver Cheese on a humid day! :o

Oskaar

dogglebe
07-01-2004, 01:56 AM
You've obviously never inhaled a ripe batch of Venezuelan Beaver Cheese on a humid day! :o

Well, there was that time in Saigon....but I don't want to talk about it.

Last night, I racked the durian melomel (third time). It fermented down to .998; starting gravity (before the fruit) was 1.071. Unfortunately, some of that durian smell is in the drink. The batch is only two months old. I'll let leave it alone until next year before I try it again.

Phil

Rurouni85Samurai
07-01-2004, 07:35 AM
I have to check on Durians. Theres an asian store down the road from here, wonder if they carry those.

Oskaar
07-28-2004, 02:21 PM
I went to one of our Asian Markets today and saw a bunch of fresh durians. Let me just say EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Oskaar

dogglebe
07-28-2004, 06:13 PM
[quote=Oskaar EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!
Oskaar[/quote]

Really mature, Oskaar (rolls eyes)

Is this based just on looking at it? Or did you get downwind of it?

I'll admit, it's not the prettiest fruit in the stand.

Phil

spoon -- just checking

Oskaar
07-29-2004, 02:50 AM
A little of both actually! Schwew, what a reek! They look like darkly colored blowfish for lack of a better visual.

Maturity notwithstanding, I passed these guys over for some fresh squid, cuttlefish and scampis. A man's got to have his priorities. ;D

Oskaar