• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Braggot?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
Does anyone have a favourite recipe for braggot? If no one has any better suggestions, I'm planning on taking a honey brown ale recipe I have and altering it. Much more honey, much less malt, but otherwise the same.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
0.5 lb 40 L Crystal Malt
0.25 oz your favorite bittering hop
3-4 lbs light DME
5 lbs Honey
irish moss (optional)
water to 5 gallons total volume
your favorite ale yeast
5 oz priming sugar at bottling

very simple but very nice. i like the honey flavor and aroma to predominate in this recipe so i use the bare minimum amount of bittering hops and NO aroma hops, of course you can always decide to add them if you like. i steep the crystal at 170 degrees for 20 minutes then remove it. i then boil the DME and bittering hops for 60 minutes (adding the irish moss after 45 min), remove from the boil and add the honey. i have had great sucess with liquid london ale yeast, but really any good quality ale yeast can be used. i usually rack once or twice over the course of three months and then bottle and age for 6 months to a year.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns