PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Mead?

JamesB
06-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Can someone please offer a successful recipe for blueberry mead? My latest batch using the blueberry puree from the homebrew shop and just a bit of blueberry flavoring hasn't turned out as well as hoped. ???

JoeM
06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
i used the following:

15 lbs clover honey
12 lbs frozen blueberries (pureed in a blender)
juice of 2 lemons
5 gallons spring water
red star Montrachet yeast

came out very dark purple, almost black in color. Semi sweet with a very heavy, almost red wine like, body. I would suggest less berries as this mead, although not overpowered completely, started to take on the quality of a fruit wine rather than a honey wine. what did you find was wrong with the batch that you made?

Marion
06-02-2004, 05:20 PM
James,

My recipe goes as follows:

12 lb. Clover Honey
1 1/2 qt. Blueberries
Zest & juice of 2 lemons
3 heaping tsp. of black tea leaves
Water to 5 gallons
K1-V wine yeast

I use the blueberries of the previous season. Having been frozen, they are quite soft. I put enough water on heat to blend the honey and add all the ingredients, except the lemon juice. I simmer it some, which aids in breaking the bueberries down more, which really isn't neccesary, but I do it anyway. After the must cools, I add the lemon juice and yeast. I stir the wine each day or two, for approximately 5-6 days, at which time I pour the wine to secondary, straining the berries out with cheese cloth. Racking at approximatley 30 & 60 days. At the 60 day racking, I may or may not add more honey to taste.

It turns out a very light Melomel with adequate and pleasing blueberry flavor. Or, I should say, pleasing to me.

Good luck.

JamesB
06-04-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the input.
Last fall, I made it with blueberry juice concentrate. My mistake was not using enough honey, as people complained that it was too light.
This past winter, I used the blueberry puree from the home brew shop and also added a little bit of blueberry flavor extract. The taste is just so-so.

I think next time around, I'll try again using the juice concentrate, but with more honey and also a little bit of flavoring. I'll also use some lemon juice and tea leaves as you have suggested above. Thanks.

JamesB
07-04-2004, 09:31 PM
One more question, what ratios would be recommended if I use the juice concentrate?