• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Blueberry Mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

JamesB

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Can someone please offer a successful recipe for blueberry mead? My latest batch using the blueberry puree from the homebrew shop and just a bit of blueberry flavoring hasn't turned out as well as hoped. ???

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
i used the following:

15 lbs clover honey
12 lbs frozen blueberries (pureed in a blender)
juice of 2 lemons
5 gallons spring water
red star Montrachet yeast

came out very dark purple, almost black in color. Semi sweet with a very heavy, almost red wine like, body. I would suggest less berries as this mead, although not overpowered completely, started to take on the quality of a fruit wine rather than a honey wine. what did you find was wrong with the batch that you made?

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
James,

My recipe goes as follows:

12 lb. Clover Honey
1 1/2 qt. Blueberries
Zest & juice of 2 lemons
3 heaping tsp. of black tea leaves
Water to 5 gallons
K1-V wine yeast

I use the blueberries of the previous season. Having been frozen, they are quite soft. I put enough water on heat to blend the honey and add all the ingredients, except the lemon juice. I simmer it some, which aids in breaking the bueberries down more, which really isn't neccesary, but I do it anyway. After the must cools, I add the lemon juice and yeast. I stir the wine each day or two, for approximately 5-6 days, at which time I pour the wine to secondary, straining the berries out with cheese cloth. Racking at approximatley 30 & 60 days. At the 60 day racking, I may or may not add more honey to taste.

It turns out a very light Melomel with adequate and pleasing blueberry flavor. Or, I should say, pleasing to me.

Good luck.

JamesB

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Thanks for the input.
Last fall, I made it with blueberry juice concentrate. My mistake was not using enough honey, as people complained that it was too light.
This past winter, I used the blueberry puree from the home brew shop and also added a little bit of blueberry flavor extract. The taste is just so-so.

I think next time around, I'll try again using the juice concentrate, but with more honey and also a little bit of flavoring. I'll also use some lemon juice and tea leaves as you have suggested above. Thanks.

JamesB

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
One more question, what ratios would be recommended if I use the juice concentrate?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns