• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Quick Grape Mead (drinkable in 5 weeks)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
:)Just finished bottling my first Grape Mead (Melomel) or Pyment whatever one wishes to call it and it was started on November 4th and is simply wonderful to drink already. It was ready in 5 weeks! Thought I would share my recipe with you as it is the youngest best tasting, quick mead I have had thus far. Too bad I only made 1 gallon experimenting.
2 lbs Clover honey
1 oz buckwheat honey
1/8t Pectin Enzymes (I used but on second thought I probably didn't need since Welch's is already clear)
64-oz Welch's Grape Juice with Vitamin C added- Make sure it has no preservatives in ingredients other than Vitamin C added (Absorbic Acid)
Balance water if you need it to make 1 gallon after adding honey mixed in water (don't use too much water in honey mix or you'll end up with more than you bargained for.
Lalvin EC-1118

It will ferment super fast to dry (about 13% alcohol) because of type of yeast and all the nutrients and natural sugars in Welch's grape juice.It should be to SG =1.000 or less in 14- 21 days max. Rack to clean carboy over mixture of 6 oz honey, 6 oz Welch's grape juice,
1/2t of Sorbate and 1/2 crushed campden tablet . It will stabilize and clear fast. Let it clear and set for another 2 weeks and it will be ready to bottle and drink. It will be medium sweet but smooth and drinkable right away. If you want it semi sweet use 4-oz honey instead of 6-oz /
gal. The only reason I used the Campden (Sulphite) is because my understanding is that using both Potassium Sorbate and Sulphite together will definitely inhibit renewed fermentation and it did for me. I went with the sweeter version to please my wife and can't wait till she gets home to try it. I got 4 regular bottles and one small bottle and drank the rest. I don't usually like sweet wine but this was the fastest best so far. I'm told that most melomels don't require a lot of aging to be good and if this gets any better
with age, I'll probably never buy store bought wine again. Color is deep red, has nice legs on sides of glass after swirling, good nose and great balanced taste) Just don't tell everybody you used Welch's. I won't. Because the juice is clear to start, clearing is naturally fast, fast, fast. :eek:
Enjoy cause I am.
Regards Joe ;D

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
Sounds interesting Joe. This grape thing has been knawing at me over the weekend. I too, am looking for something that is pleasing to the wife. Yep, and as with yours, my wife prefers sweet. And most of the time, I do as well.

I'll be looking for the no additive Welch's.

Do you think the Sorbate and Campden tablets are neccessary, or did they just speed things up for you?

R

Rurouni85Samurai

I think I just discovered my new batch that I will make. I have a question though, the little 1gallon jugs, what size stopper do they take?

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
The glass 1 gal. jugs I got from the supply house take a #6 plug.

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
Samuri, keep us posted on your quest. I'm quite interested in this project.

R

Rurouni85Samurai

I'll try. I'm not sure as to when I can do it, I need to order a stopper and a 2nd airlock plus yeast. Anyone know where to get small ammounts of buckweat honey?

R

Rurouni85Samurai

None, guess I could order it by the pound from online. Wait would a health store possibly have buckweat?

Ok found a lb of it at the beefolks, but while looking through their selection (bit expensive for me) I saw Eucalyptus - Sharp, minty taste. Sounds like it would be a pretty good spiced mead perhaps.

R

Rurouni85Samurai

Great find viking glad I have all of you holding my hand into this adventure.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well All,
My wife didn't like it after all, but everyone else who tried it loved it. She just doesn't like anything that taste like wine. It has a great concord taste from the final sweetening by using the 4 or 6 oz of juice and honey to sweeten it. Yes the sorbate and campden is necessary if you don't want it to take off again as the EC-1118 yeast has a very high alcohol tolerance and you would ruin the taste and cause a longer ageing time if you use more honey or don't stabilize it at a lower alcohol content. :D
Joe

R

Rurouni85Samurai

Ok before I start this batch. I have a large bucket, think its 7gallon primary and I'm a bit iffy of using a gallon jug as a primary with blow off. Should I use the bucket with all of its void space or just use the jug as primary and rack to another jug afterwards?

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
Samurai, I don't think I would be lucky enough to pull-it-off in a 1 gallon jug as a primary. With my luck I'll have a foamy mess, or, at least, a gummed-up rag. ( I tie a rag on top of my primary) I started a batch of Concord Mead, Pyment, Saturday. A 3 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy, primary. Next morn, it has a 3-4 inch head of foam.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
This is suppose to be a quick and easy mead folks. No need for a big primary.It is so quick you can use the jug as a primary and secondary. Fermentation will be done in 3 weeks with EC-1118. The one gallon jug with EC-1118 and 3 inches of headspace will be fine. Mine did not run over and fermented at 68 degrees. No nutrients are necessary and you will make up the balance when you rack by stabilizing and racking over honey and more juice. Keep this one simple. This is one to drink right away. No need to rack a bunch of times. The welch's is clear already and it probably doesn't even need pectin enzyme as I found out in my second batch. If you use more than 2 lbs of honey it may take longer to age. No need to try and break alcohol records on this easy one.
Good Luck, Joe

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
Jmatt, while we have you on the line, give us your thoughts on Welch's white grape and the procedure you would likely take, in the event you would take this trail, someday.

R

Rurouni85Samurai

Alrighty I'm just scarred to wake up with my floor inundated by delicious foam.....hold that thought. Swimming in foamy goodness sounds like a hell of an idea.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Use the bucket anyway IMO, when you lose the Kraussen, put in the jug. That way I end with a gallon batch.

It's not like racking is hard to do.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
i have done a primary in a 1 gallon jug plenty of times, you may have to change your airlock a couple of times in the first week or 2 but i haven't had much problems though. i buy my honey 24lbs at a time and it comes in a 2 gallon bucket which i have converted into a small fermenter for those small batches. i know you can buy these buckets from walter t kelly bee company. i think they are very cheap

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns