PDA

View Full Version : Mead and Food Combinations

Norskersword
08-20-2004, 05:42 AM
I was talking to a friend who likes to cook and a question arose. Everybody knows that there are wines that tend to compliment different foods. Is anyone familiar with any mead/food combinations?

Jmattioli
08-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Good question Jeff, My straight meads go well with anything white wine seems to go with and I break all the rules as I'll drink mead with anything so perhaps someone who has been drinking mead longer can comment on this. I await their response with you.
Joe

Oskaar
08-20-2004, 01:54 PM
I'll take a stab at this.

Drier straight meads and lightly spiced metheglins match up well with fish, shellfish (lobster, crabs, shrimps) and fowl, pork, and some of the lighter game birds and small game (quail, partridge, pheasant, rabbit, turkey)

Medium sweet meads, metheglin, sparkling meads tend to go well with stronger fish (salmon, tuna, seabass) scampi (prawns), squid, goose, duck, goat, grilled vegetables, smoked meats, hams, etc.

Big, dry, strong melomels and pyments tend to match up more toward beef, lamb, marinara sauce, barbeque, etc.

Those are just my personal opinions, and there are a lot more matches with foods of all kinds and mead.

I love a good spicey metheglin with a honey glazed ham, and a good sweet mead with cheese, fruit and fresh baked bread. A nice hot mulled mead with some dried fruits and meats is always a good match up in my book too.

Hope that makes sense,

Oskaar

Oskaar
08-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Let me add one more that I left out of the end section.

First: take a very dry mead and put it in the freezer for close to an hour to get it almost frozen cold. It can be a very lightly spiced metheglin or just a straight dry mead.

Next: Have some frozen fruits (like bluberries, grapes, etc) with some good quality brie cheese, oven baked garlic and toasted baguette slices with some olive oil brushed onto them.

You smear some of the brie onto the toast, and smear some of the baked garlic on top of that and chow it down. Then have a swig of mead, and follow with some of the frozen fruit.

I know that getting mead that cold really breaks a lot of the "mead drinking rules" but, I love the way it works with the different flavors and really adds to the food.

Dang it, now I'm hungry!

Oskaart