• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What's the difference?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
Is there any practical difference between potassium metabisulphite and sodium metabisulfate? Is there any reason you can't or shouldn't substitute one for the other?

Thanks in advance.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Is there any practical difference between potassium metabisulphite and sodium metabisulfate? Is there any reason you can't or shouldn't substitute one for the other?
They will both accomplish the same purpose as an antibacterial agent to kill yeast and bacteria and prevent oxidation along with other identical benefits, however I would recommend potassium bisulfite over sodium metabisulfate as it will not add sodium to the mead. (sodium, of course, is salt)

I use my sodium metabisufate as an equipment and bottle sterilizer only.
Joe

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Is it enough salt to affect the taste?
Here's what some experts say..
Sodium Metabisulphite tablets used to suppress unwanted bacteria and wild yeast prior to fermentation and to stabilize wine during racking. Each pre-measued tablet equals 1/3 oz (10 gr). For every gallon of wine completely crush one or two tablets. Dissolve in a small amount of cold water then stir into wine thoroughly. This sodium source of metabisulfite is not recommended because of possible flavor changes in wine. The US government currently bans the use of sodium metabisulfite in all wines made in or imported into the country due to health concerns over sodium in wine. A much better choice would be potassium metabisulfite.
source .... http://www.leeners.com/stablizers.html
In the opinion of Leeners the answer is yes it will affect the flavor. Other brewers sites have expressed the same opinion. I have not experimented with it and merely take their word for it.
Joe

Derf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2004
Ok, I'm convinced. I was just curious because I picked up a package of sodium metabisulphite a while back when meant to get potassium. I won't let it go to waste but I'll certainly keep it out of my mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns