PDA

View Full Version : Pure genius

WikdWaze
09-08-2004, 03:59 PM
No, I'm not talking about myself ;D

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?p=101592#101592

That is the most brilliant setup I've seen. Though he brews beer, it'd be just as effective for mead. You can have several ice-cold kegs to drink from and perfect fermentation temperatures too. I guess it's really a scaled-down brewpub. It wouldn't be hard to make some additions and have a few fermenters running at the same time.

ScottS
09-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I agree, that is a neat setup. I think a window air conditioner and a fridge would be cheaper and easier though. But some people just like to build stuff. More power to them. :)

WikdWaze
09-09-2004, 02:31 AM
I agree, that is a neat setup. I think a window air conditioner and a fridge would be cheaper and easier though. But some people just like to build stuff. More power to them. :)
I think I'm one of those types :-[ I get giddy as a schoolgirl when I see a contraption like that.

Window A/C? do you mean just hanging in the window of the fermenter room, or actually as part of the fermenter? Do you use a thermostat to control it, or rely on the built-in thermostat?

Oskaar
09-09-2004, 03:11 AM
I know people like that.

If you ask them the time they run out and build a clock. LOL

Oskaar

WikdWaze
09-09-2004, 03:35 AM
I know people like that.

If you ask them the time they run out and build a clock. LOL

Oskaar
To quote a wise man "I resemble that remark"

BTW, how did you get an extra couple hundred posts in two days? Seems Joe ought to make up a diploma for you for most rapid advancement. ;D

Oskaar
09-09-2004, 09:31 AM
They were all subliminal posts. In the next few days you'll know what I mean; and remember . . . it's only money.

Oskaar

WikdWaze
09-09-2004, 03:49 PM
They were all subliminal posts. In the next few days you'll know what I mean; and remember . . . it's only money.

Oskaar

So you bribed Vicky to get a couple hundred extra posts? ;D

Talon
09-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Hmmm.... Maybe we found our hacker? lol.

*eyes Oskaar suspiciously*

ScottS
09-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Window A/C? do you mean just hanging in the window of the fermenter room, or actually as part of the fermenter? Do you use a thermostat to control it, or rely on the built-in thermostat?
Just hang it in the window of the fermentation room. There's a guy who used to frequent the Brewboard that had about 5 smaller (20-25gal) conicals. He kept them in his basement, walled off a "room" with sleeping bags hung from the ceiling, and stuck a window air conditioner in the "room". He says it kept everything the perfect temperature, and was really cheap to run, since he wasn't cooling a big space.

I like simple. ;D

Oskaar
09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Bribed? No way!

But it did involve lot's of groveling, sniveling and begging on my part. :o Just kidding!

I think it had to do with my account needing to be reset a certain way because of the number of posts I had and to try and retain them.

I would have been dissapointed if I lost the posts and my Nick because I've used this handle on the internet (all the way back to the Arpanet) for many years. I go back and read what I wrote and think, "What the heck was I thinking when I wrote that?" Seeing things in black and white that show where you were, and indicate where you are show progress (at least hopefully) over the course of time, and aquired knowledge.

That's why I love this board! That is, I've been making mead for quite a while, and I've learned so much more already just by participating that it really shows me how much I have yet to learn. I also think that by being an active poster it helps motivate the rest of the board community to be more active posters. That is a bunch of posts by only one person is an editorial column, but a bunch of posts from a lot of people has the potiential for some great ideas.

OK, sorry about the forum "Love-in" but I do believe very strongly that having a place to post ideas, thoughts, fears, or sometimes just a good rant is a very valuable thing. We should all be grateful for all the posters, and especially to Vicky for committing herself to the care and feeding of this portal!

Thanks Vicky,

Oskaar

WikdWaze
09-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Bribed? No way!

But it did involve lot's of groveling, sniveling and begging on my part. :o Just kidding!

I think it had to do with my account needing to be reset a certain way because of the number of posts I had and to try and retain them.

I would have been dissapointed if I lost the posts and my Nick because I've used this handle on the internet (all the way back to the Arpanet) for many years. I go back and read what I wrote and think, "What the heck was I thinking when I wrote that?" Seeing things in black and white that show where you were, and indicate where you are show progress (at least hopefully) over the course of time, and aquired knowledge.

That's why I love this board! That is, I've been making mead for quite a while, and I've learned so much more already just by participating that it really shows me how much I have yet to learn. I also think that by being an active poster it helps motivate the rest of the board community to be more active posters. That is a bunch of posts by only one person is an editorial column, but a bunch of posts from a lot of people has the potiential for some great ideas.

OK, sorry about the forum "Love-in" but I do believe very strongly that having a place to post ideas, thoughts, fears, or sometimes just a good rant is a very valuable thing. We should all be grateful for all the posters, and especially to Vicky for committing herself to the care and feeding of this portal!

Thanks Vicky,

OskaarAwwww, how sweet ;D
I agree with everything you said, but don't tell anybody I said that, it'd ruin my reputation if they knew I was a big softie.

Just hang it in the window of the fermentation room. There's a guy who used to frequent the Brewboard that had about 5 smaller (20-25gal) conicals. He kept them in his basement, walled off a "room" with sleeping bags hung from the ceiling, and stuck a window air conditioner in the "room". He says it kept everything the perfect temperature, and was really cheap to run, since he wasn't cooling a big space.

I like simple. I agree, I'm a huge fan of simple, believe it or not. I imagine it would take some experimentation to get the setting on the A/C unit right for the temperature you needed. Either that or you'd have to always use a yeast with a fairly broad comfort zone. The only problem then is that all the fermenters would be at the same temperature, so you'd limit your yeast choices a bit.

Talon
09-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Speaking of temperature controlled fermentation rooms, you all will get a good laugh at what my loving wife has suggested we do and suggested it in all seriousness and willingness to work towards this end goal!

She want's to get one of those walk-in refrigerators of about 20 to 25 square feet of floor space. She also suggested getting a generator specifically for it so that when hurricanes knock the power out, we can stuff our food in there as well and keep it cold. Also she wants to get a seperate generator for the house so that we can run a few fans, etc.

I think my wife is as excited about my making mead as I am! lol.

*wipes tear from eye* I'm such a lucky man!

WikdWaze
09-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Speaking of temperature controlled fermentation rooms, you all will get a good laugh at what my loving wife has suggested we do and suggested it in all seriousness and willingness to work towards this end goal!

She want's to get one of those walk-in refrigerators of about 20 to 25 square feet of floor space. She also suggested getting a generator specifically for it so that when hurricanes knock the power out, we can stuff our food in there as well and keep it cold. Also she wants to get a seperate generator for the house so that we can run a few fans, etc.

I think my wife is as excited about my making mead as I am! lol.

*wipes tear from eye* I'm such a lucky man!

I'm not jealous, I swear >:( :'(

Talon
09-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Check this out! She even wants to set me up a specialized stainless steel 3 tub workbench/sink for racking, etc in the garage with tons of shelving for spare carboys, chemicals and everything... I guess she's tired of me taking up the breakfast nook with my mead stuff and stored bottles... *grins*

However, she does enjoy it so when I have a new experimental batch going and she gets nice little nips and critiques the flavors and aromas....

She keeps hounding me to perfect a recipe that I could patent/copywrite as my signature recipe and open up a meadery...

Not excited, is she?

Oskaar
09-12-2004, 10:20 PM
She have a sister??

Talon
09-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Yes, but luckilly for you, they are both married. I wouldn't curse you with either of her sisters.

Yes, you can quote me on that. ;)