PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest conicals

WikdWaze
09-08-2004, 03:41 AM
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=20726&product%5Fid=3863&cookie%5Ftest=1

Yes, they are plastic, but they are FDA approved. And the smallest they offer is an Oskaar-sized 15 gallon. But where else can you get a 15 gallon fermenter, with stand, for about $100? According to the post I got the link from, the only problem is that the lid assembly is not airtight. Apparently there's a ring the lid screws into, the ring/tank connection is where the leak is. The cure is a bit of food-grade RTV silicone between the ring and the body of the tank. I couldn't help but notice that a paltry $200 will get a 110 gallon tank with stand. :P

dogglebe
09-08-2004, 06:03 AM
I'd be curious regarding whether the plastic would let oxygen in.

Phil

jab
09-08-2004, 06:06 AM
I had always heard it would. It's fine for a primary, but I wouldn't leave my brew in plastic more than 2-3 weeks.

-jb

WikdWaze
09-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Plastic will definitely let oxygen in, but so does an oak barrel. The real question is whether it lets it in too fast.

My only real problem with the plastic is whether or not it absorbs any of the flavor or scent of what's in it. It'd be a shame to shell out $100 for a 15 gallon fermenter and stand just to find out you can only make 1 recipe in it :o

ScottS
09-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Agreed with all of your concerns, I would never bulk age a mead in plastic. :-X

St Patricks in Texas has 80 gallon stainless conicals for $600. Sure, it's more than $100-200, but they're built like tanks (ha ha). And no worries because it's stainless.

jab
09-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Plastic will definitely let oxygen in, but so does an oak barrel.

Hehe, that's why I wouldn't use an oak barrel either. :P

It's also the biggest reason I haven't bought one of the VVessels. I really like the idea and how they work but I just don't want the risk of using plastic for the whole process.

In your case, you are talking about a fairly large quantity. For that ammount of money and that much brew at risk it's a no brainer.

-jb

WikdWaze
09-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Hehe, that's why I wouldn't use an oak barrel either. :P

-jb
;D I merely mentioned the barrel because there are millions of them in use around the world holding wine and mead with no problems. Does this mean plastic would be as effective? Nope. But there is plenty of research to show that slow oxidization is a necessary part of the aging process. I don't think I'd leave a mead in plastic to bulk age for a year, but I doubt there'd be a problem if you let it clear in the plastic and then bottled it for aging.

I wasn't seriously thinking about the 110 gallon one. That's a fairly useless size, I think. I couldn't drink that much in a year, and I don't think I could share it with enough friends and relatives either. And that's probably too small for commercial production too. But it would sure look pretty sitting in a shed out back, bubbling away ;D ;D

jab
09-09-2004, 03:18 AM
Well, if you do get it and you are worried about how to consume 110 gal. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems finding people on the forum willing to help diminish the supply.

There's an idea. Have a WikdWaze GotTooMuchMead GotMead? meet up!

-jb

WikdWaze
09-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Well, if you do get it and you are worried about how to consume 110 gal. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems finding people on the forum willing to help diminish the supply.

There's an idea. Have a WikdWaze GotTooMuchMead GotMead? meet up!

-jb
Been reading Dr. Seuss lately?

Norskersword
09-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Been reading Dr. Seuss lately?

lol ;D

I'm afraid I don't have enough friends either... ;)

WikdWaze
09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
lol ;D

I'm afraid I don't have enough friends either... ;)
Maybe we should start a support group