PDA

View Full Version : Fun toys!

Oskaar
08-16-2004, 02:41 PM
OK everyone,

What kind of measuring devices do you use? That is, what do you have in your arsenal for measuring the following:

Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Brix
pH
Must Temperature
Room Temperature

Oskaar

Derf
08-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Obviously a hydrometer for gravity... I have a "winethief" that I use for a hydrometer jar, but I find it's too narrow and you have to be careful to keep them from clinging to each other.

Brix? No. No mortar either.

Ph I don't worry about.

The only time I measure the temperature of the must/wort is when I pitch the yeast. I just use a floating thermometer for that, though I've been meaning to get my hands on something a little more reliable. Afterwards, I keep my eye on the ambient temperature with a digital thermometer (cheap and no more reliable than the other). The digital one has a second probe on a wire that you are suposed to stick out a window so you know what it's like outside. I usually keep this right next to one of my carboys inside the sweaters I wrap them in.

Bryan38
08-16-2004, 11:36 PM
For Temp. All my Primary carboys (6+gal) have a Fermometer glued to the side. For about $3 you cannot go wrong. Usually vertical, with the top edge at the 5 gal mark. This lets me approximate the final volume also.

Oskaar
08-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Oops, I forgot to put down my toys.

I have a refractometer for brix and some density.

A hydrometer for OG and a narrow range hydrometer for FG.

I use a hand held pH meter.

On my brew pots I have screw-in dial thermometers that are side mounted about a quarter of the way up from the bottom of the pots, and I have a small Oregon Scientific weather station for wind speed, barometric pressure, humidity, inside/outside temp, etc.

I check the OC weather online for pollen count, smog, etc.

I use a quick-read digital thermometer for the must and the starter.

Oskaar