PDA

View Full Version : Question about bottles...

lbaker
07-26-2004, 12:14 AM
I've got a simple question on bottles. I'm planning on doing most of my bottling with beer bottles and a crown capper. Is it ok to re-use bottles that have a screw top? or do you have to have the old style that required a bottle opener? I happen to like Orange Crush, which comes in clear long neck screw type bottles and I would like to be able to re-use these if possible.

Thanks

Lyle Baker
http://www.moremead.com

Derf
07-26-2004, 01:06 AM
The following is from an FAQ on one of my favourite homebrewing websites, http://www.bodensatz.com:
----------------
Q: Can I use twist-off bottles? Should I be throwing twist off bottles away? I'm assuming I can't cap them with regular caps.

A: Invalid assumption. Though it is easier to use aluminum caps (the silver ones rather than the gold ones). Aluminum caps are pretty easy to come by, though. This topic seems to come around quite often, and there are an awful lot of people who claim you can't use twist-offs. We've been using them for quite some time with little or no problems. When we were using our old butterfly capper we did have a few problems with them, but that was perhaps 1 per batch or so. Now that we have the big bench capper, we haven't had a single problem.

This having been said, there does seem to be some difference in twist-off bottles within the USA. The ones here in Canada are all very much usable. But it seems that in the USA there are some twist-offs which are made from a much thinner glass, dramatically increasing the liklihood that you'll break it while bottlling. But it's still work giving it a try.

SteveT
07-26-2004, 06:06 AM
<<I've got a simple question on bottles. I'm planning on doing most of my bottling with beer bottles and a crown capper. Is it ok to re-use bottles that have a screw top? or do you have to have the old style that required a bottle opener? I happen to like Orange Crush, which comes in clear long neck screw type bottles and I would like to be able to re-use these if possible. >>

Most of the screw tops I have seen have rather thin tops, as such may break upon capping. The best bottles for crown capping are the long neck beer bottles from the returnable cases. They are meant to be reused and are heavier.

Oskaar
07-28-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm a firm believer in a good thick bottle so I'll generally look for a longneck bottle with a good thick lip, and a good heft to it.

When I bottle my mead I generally use champagne bottles, or the large 22oz beer bottles (I bought several cases of each from a local homebrew supply store several years ago) and have never had a bottle bomb or any problems.

I think that screw top bottles are an accident waiting to happen, especially here in the states where these types of bottles tend to be made out of thin glass that won't stand the repeated capping process.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar