• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Where to find one gallon glass jugs of cider?

Barrel Char Wood Products

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Yes, I know this is another stupid post. But here is my question? Where have all the gallons gone? The glass gallon jugs of apple juice. I have seen tons of homebrew sites saying to buy this juice and use the jugs for brewing but for the life of me I can't find any jugs. The best I could find in glass was 64oz. Is this just me or have the glass gallons been getting scarce?

I have checked Publix (local supermarket) and Wal-mart primarily but can only find plastic gallons. I would spend the extra 50 cents to a dollar for a glass jug or five. I am not going to buy an empty one at a brewshop though.

So, any sightings? Where have you seen the jugs and what brands are still using them? Where would I most likely be able to find some?

fantome

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 3, 2003
Try a food co-op or a grocery store with a big organic section. Some parts of the country (MI, LA, and MN) have a store called Whole Foods - try something like that. I picked up 2 or 3 glass jugs that way.

A restaurant supply store (or if you know someone in the restaurant business) might have them too. A restaurant that I worked at severeal years ago got their hot wing sauce in gallon sized glass jugs.

By the way, if you are interested, the regular grocery stores usually have apple juice in gallon PLASTIC jugs, I have used these to ferment small batches, and they work great as long as you don't squeeze the fermenting must up throught the airlock.

Don't ask how I know this...

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Yeah, I could use the plastic ones but I would prefer the glass. It just seems very hard to find any around my area. I shop a natural food stores all the time so I should check to see if they have the glass gallon jugs.

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Here in Idaho we have a store called Fred Meyer that carries two different brands of all natural apple juice in gallon glass jugs.

I have no idea where else this chain of stores is located though.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Krogers carries them in thier Health food section off of produce, not in thier Juice Isle.

think the brand is "R. J. Knudsen" or something similar.
We also have a couple Stores named "Wild Oats" that specializes in health food and Gormet that has them.

Also "Apple Barn" but i think they are just in Opry mills and Gatlingburg area.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Got mine at Kroger as well. Now my problem is that my largest stopper is too small for it! Surprised me that my 6 gallon carboys have smaller openings than these 1 gallon jugs of apple juice. Oh well! Guess I "have" to go to the local home brew store again! ;D

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I think it takes a #8 stopper IIRC, and the 1/2 gallon size takes a #7, or Vice versa. YMMV

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
My 1 gal. jugs take the #6 stopper. They came from a supply house. Its been increasingly difficult to find all natural apple juice, in glass jugs, in this area. It's rather seasonal, at best. In the Fall, it can be found for a short period of time. "Murray's", I believe, is the name of the orchard, juicer, whatever. If you're not there when the truck arrives, forget it. They usuall put out two types. One with "pulp", one clear. The one with pulp makes fine jelly, also.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
hmmm Surprised you don't have any big Kroger Supermarkets over there. Knudsens organic Apple Juice is typically carried Year round in their little healthfood section near the Produce. at least it is here in nashville. YMMV. Publix Often has a similar section where they carry Varietal honeys and I thought Glass jars of Organic Juice.

Marion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2004
Yep, got Krogers. Several of them actually. Health Food Section? I didn't know one existed. Dern, ThirstyOne, you keep me running to the grocer, every afternoon. My wife is getting suspicious. ::)

Dcarlis

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2004
Carlo Rossi wine comes in Gallon Glass Jugs. Wine cost is about $7.

I got some jugs from a place we have here in California called Whole Foods. They sell organic apple juice in nice one gallon jugs. They have a nice screw top that could be reused also (rubber seal).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns