• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

"one step" cleaner/sanitizer

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Have any of you had any experience with "One Step" no-rinse cleaner/sanitizer? It was what came with my equipment kit, but I have never seen it mentioned in any of the books I have. Anyone have any strong feelings about this product, either pro or con?

Thanks!

BTW... The airlock is bubbling only once every 30 seconds or so out of our primary firmenter. It has been in the primary for about 3 weeks now. I think we will be racking it to a carboy tomorrow, since we will not have time next weekend!

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
i have used the no rinse...theres nothing really wrong with it but i'm not really impressed with it either. i dont like the idea of the sanitizer being in my beer. i usually use a weak solution of regular houshold bleach and rinse with fresh water for all my sanitrizing needs. its cheap, easy to find, and works great.

Personally i would give your primary at least a few more weeks before racking...it sounds like its still fermenting too fast. i usully let it go about 6 weeks or maybe a bit sooner if all signs of active fermentation have stopped. but this is just one mans opinion.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the info! I didn't use bleach because I didn't want the smell of bleach in my mead, but I guess that is why you rinse...and rinse!

As far as waiting to rack is concerned... we'll see if my patience can wait that much longer! ;D

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
there would be no smell of bleach in the mead or beer at all. in fact the no rinse sanitizer is clorine based and i would think that since you are leaving it in the bottle there would be an even greater chance of getting off odors or flavors from it. i've been using bleach for many years and many homebrewers swear by it. two or three seconds of rinse with a bottle washer faucet attachment and all of the bleach odor is gone.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
the "one step" brand says it is "no-rinse cleanser that uses active oxygen ". There is no clorine bleach in it, so no smell.

I just wonder if it works! Hate to find out several months later that it doesnt! But I guess that is how we learn! I think I will switch to diluted bleach for my next batch.

Chauvan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2003
I haven't used one-step, but all the no-rinses are bleach free. (Star-san, Iodophor, one-step). Bleach is such a bad idea for brewing. You have to rinse it completely and unless you are rinsing with purified water, you are risking putting infection back on the surface. I personally use Iodophor; iodine base. In the right concentration, it is completely rinse free with no ill-effects in your beverage of choice.

If you haven't already been, come on over to www.homebrew.com The creator of one-step is a poster there. Goes by Rickdude. The following link is a chat transcript with him being interviewed. http://forums.homebrew.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=10513&s=

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns