PDA

View Full Version : Are Plastic Water Jugs safe for Primary???

Jmattioli
11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know for sure if there is any danger in using a Dannon Spring water 1 gal plastic bottle for primary fermentation? It has a wide mouth and is real handy for primary. Will fermentation or alcohol leach anything toxic from the plastic as it was intended for Spring water? ??? Thanks for any input.

The_Ferminator
11-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Normal plastic carboys are oxygen permeable. I've read that one week primary is max. but I've also read that they're fine for up to one month.

I don't know what to believe. The 1 week recomendation comes from John Palmer of www.howtobrew.com a credible brewing webmaster.

I woudln't take my chances...

MeadMkr
12-08-2003, 09:13 PM
I ferment my meads in the standard plastic buckets from the LHBS and don't see any problem in it. My typical primary is 3-4 days of plain mead (with a little fruit for nutrients) that's been well oxegenated. I brew mostly melomels so I add fruit for up to 3-7 more days or until fermentation starts to slow down. I then rack off the fruit into glass carboys. I've been looking at the "better carboys" (polycarbonate?) and have asked santa for a few since they don't break but for my secondaries I typically only use SS (cornie kegs) or glass carboys. Then again I don't typically bottle until the mead is at least a year old :)