PDA

View Full Version : Orange Blossom Honey

mavityre
10-22-2004, 04:39 AM
Anybody ever use this? What are the differences, if any, compared to Clover Honey?

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Mavityre,

My first batch ever, which is being documented in the Log section is a Metheglin based on Orange Blossom honey. You can track the progress of that batch as it continues to progress towards maturity. It is supposed to be ready for contest by Pennsic War in August...

From what I have read, "Orange Blossom" really means "Citrus Blossom", not just orange blossom. According to my mentors, it is one of the best honeys available. I hear the same things about buckwheat as well from others. So I will likely try batches of both before making a decision...

ScottS
10-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Generic clover honey is a neutral honey, with in my opinion not much flavor and a lot of sweetness. (Though the clover honey out of my hives this year is spectacular, nothing like any clover honey I've ever had. I wonder what the do commerically to ruin it? ???)

Orange blossom honey will have a much more interesting floral or even citrusy aroma and flavor. I've never made mead out of it, but I've heard that this flavor survives fermentation pretty well.

And Pewter is right, orange blossom really is generic citrus blossom.