PDA

View Full Version : Extraction pictures

ScottS
10-12-2004, 07:37 PM
If anyone is interested, I posted some pictures of my extracting work this past weekend on my website: www.geocities.com/slezakfarms/extracting

Sorry about the popups, I'll get a real host soon. I promise. ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Scott,

Thanks for posting the pics. It is something I hadn't seen but had only heard described.

You going to sell honey next year? *hopeful look*

Thanks,
Pewter

ScottS
10-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Already selling it. :) $5/pint. Expensive in the quantities that meadmakers want, but it's going like hotcakes to health food types. And I have already sold some to a meadmaker, so it's clearly not out of everyone's price range.

Oskaar
10-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey Scott,

Congrats on the honey collection and sales! That's great!

Thanks for the pictures too, that's some good information.

I'm jealous! :)

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli
10-13-2004, 01:25 AM
Ditto here Scott!
Joe

kace069
10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
hey scott where at in michigan do you live? I live in michigan too and i am a first year beekeeper too. I got a late start this year so no honey for me. I just want to make sure my bees make it through the winter. Thanks for the info on extraction. I've been wondering what i was gonna do about that when the time comes. Extrators are insanely expensive and probably only worth the investment if you had 5 or more hives, near as i can figure.
But i did buy plans this year for a DIY honey extrator made out of an aluminum trash can, and supposedly will cost $50 to construct. If you are intrested i will give you more information about what i bought. If i remeber correctly i got my copy from amazon.com and only cost about $5. After seeing your pics it makes me wish i would have at least put one super on my hive. But i wanted to be sure i would have bees in the spring.

good luck with the bees! And have fun with the cheap cheaper, cheapest mead you have ever made. :)

ScottS
10-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm in Clarksville, between GR and Lansing.

I'm buying an extractor next year, as I'm planning on going up to somewhere between 6 and 10 hives. I only had 4 supers of honey to do, and that pretty much exhausted my time and resources. Next year I'm hoping to have a LOT more than that. :)

Good luck to you too. ;D I'm hoping my bees make it though the winter as well. But after talking to some experts, it sounds like they are in great shape.

David Baldwin
10-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Scott,

That is very cool. I didn't realize that you were doing honey too.

I've got a friend who used to do honey in Minnesota. He's bringing his hives and equipment down after Christmas. He has a bunch of hives and an extractor. He wants me to help him get set up here in Michigan.

It should be fun, and I'll know exactly were my honey is comming from.