• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Good source for bulk spices

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just wondering if anyone has links to a favorite online source for bulk spices. Reason I am asking is that it that the cinnamon sticks in the local grocery store seem to be quite expensive.

Thanks in advance,
Pewter

svaros

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2004
You can check out http://www.thespicehouse.com. They have great stuff, and are pretty inexpensive. They have 5 different kinds of cinnamon too. I am able to buy some spices in bulk in my local grocery store, but we have a large Indian and Hispanic population, so we get a lot of good bulk stuff. The spices that are packaged in small quantities, and especially the stuff by McCormick is REALLY expensive. In addition, I bought a pound of cloves in the local warehouse store for LESS than what the grocery store was charging for half an ounce. And it was the same brand too!!

You'll always do better if you buy in bulk. You just need to be sure that you'll use it all up.

DE

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Another question for the experts...

Is there a conversion factor for cinnamon sticks to powdered cinnamon and vice-versa?

The last SWAG I took on an apple cordial I made was WAY off and the nutmeg and cinnamon were overpowering to the point that I threw it away...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns