• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey: How Dark Is Dark?

Barrel Char Wood Products
F

Ferminator

OK, I just got about 40 pounds helping clean out and salvage equipment from a U-Brew/Brewpub. I have been reading Chuck's posts about dark honey containing nutrients. How dark is the Buckwheat honey you speak of? When I compare this stuff to Clover honey, its about twice as dark or darker, and darker than blackberry or wildflower that I have used in the past.

MY question: Do you think I'd have enough nutrients if I add 10 or more pound of Blackberries?

Thanks!

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
In my opinion, yes. With fruit and dark honey especially if it is buckwheat. But not all dark honey is high in ash so to be certain you would do best to identify the honey and search out the specifications for that typical type of honey. With blackberries I wouldn't even worry with a light honey as that 10lbs would make nutrients a non issue.

F

Ferminator

I have no way of asking the former ownersof the Brewpub what type of honey it is. Is there another way to tell (or at least make a good guess) what type it is?

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Not that I know of. What recipe are you contemplating with your 3.25 gallon honey windfall?

Probably since I have heard no real refutation of chucks philosophy I'd recommend blending that honey, I made a peach melomel with Blackberry honey and canned store peaches in heavy syrup as an experiment, It was the first batch I added nutrients to, It was also the first batch I got a real harsh taste out of that needs to age out. According to things that have been posted I think there is a good chance the harshness is from an overabundance of nutrients. I admit that the heavy syrup from the peaches may have contributed.

If you are a real patient inquisitive sort, you might make a couple small batches in 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon cider jugs to test your honey. If you do I'd look at a straight mead with and without nutrients, and a cyser without nutrients. Also straight meads with 1/2 pound of that honey + other honeys blended in like wildflower and clover perhaps.

If this is buckwheat then expect the unblended straight meads to need LOTS of aging and to ferment VERY rapidly (from what I have Read, My first buckwheat honney arrives in late january if all goes according to plan).

Anyway all this experimenting will use less than 10 pounds of mystery honey leaving 30+ pounds for Later batches when you have a better Idea how you want to use that honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns