PDA

View Full Version : Restarting fermentation?

Helios
09-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Lets just say a "friend" might have stopped the fermentation of his mead prematurely....would this "Friend" be able to pitch another starter that was going really good and hope it would not die off as soon as it hit the batch.....maybe keep going for a lil while to cut some of the sweetness?

Of course I would never ever make that mistake....my "Friend" is a little embarrased to post himself.....seriously, no really, would I lie?

Helios
09-07-2004, 09:06 AM
OK.... OK...... Its was more like I ....siily me....."HE" thought it was dry enough but after much pondering of the taste I ..... I mean "HE" thought it should be a little more on the Dry side....yeah thats the story I .... "HE" is sticking with.

JoeM
09-07-2004, 09:52 AM
how exactly did "He" stop the fermentation?

Helios
09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Ummm "HE" might have introduced maybe 4 crushed tablets of Potassiium Metabisulphite then added more water and honey to sweeten it and might have gone just a bit too far

MagickMead
09-08-2004, 04:20 AM
You should be able to restart the fermentation. Dump the mead in to an open bucket and stir it up good, this will help to get rid of some of the sulphite, rack back too the carboy and add the new yeast starter.
Adding sulphite is not a good way to stop fermentation anyway, it will only stun the yeast and they will probably start up again after you bottle the mead, depending on how much sweetness is left you might get sparkling mead or exploding bottles in a few weeks.

Oh and hello every one. I have been reading this fourm for about a year but today is my first post.

Helios
09-08-2004, 04:52 AM
WOW I feel honored you posted a reply to me.......will make a new starter tonight and pitch it tomorrow....hopefully it werks.....wurks?....ahh WORKS......

JoeM
09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
MagickMead
I'm just curious...wouldnt you be worried about oxidizing the mead by stirring it up as you have suggested?
JM

MagickMead
09-09-2004, 03:43 AM
The stirring will add some oxygen that will help to get out the sulfite that he added, he is planing to restart fermentation so the yeast should use up any extra oxygen and not hurt the mead.

Doug

Jmattioli
09-10-2004, 11:13 PM
That will work. Fine advice Magickmead. And welcome.
Joe

Oskaar
09-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Don't forget to re-sanitize your lid or plug, and top off your bubbler.

Oskaar