• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mold?

Barrel Char Wood Products

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
???

It appears I have some mold growing on one of my meads.

Do I try to rack from under it?
Do I pour the whole thing out?
Do I stir it up and call it nutrients?

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
More info please.

Green/Blue fluffy or hairy stuff in circular blobs like on stale bread, or a white scum floating over the whole surface (like the flor that helps make Sherry), or ...

I find that I sometimes get the white stuff, especially on higher acidic fruit meads (or wines), such as Kiwi fruit, pineapple (so far).
I either scrape off with a spoon, or top-up the carboy to overflowing, and "run off" the scum. The white stuff doesn't seem overly harmful.
The Flor used in Sherry making actually seals the top from further oxidation - check the web for more info.

The Blue/green stuff I would remove asap (via a spoon). Then ensure I had the mead sulfited sufficiently (which I usually don't do at all).

If you grow your own yeast cultures, the blue/green mold means you throw the yeast culture out to avoid "bad yeast" or bacterial infection (although I have managed to remove just the portion where the blue/green mold was growing, without the rest of the culture being affected - but yeast cultures are another story :) )

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
These appear to be white flat blobs floating on the surface of the mead. The largest of them is only 1/4" in across. This was a 6 gallon batch of honey-water-yeast. We are using it as a base for several smaller batches of flavored meads. It was still active when we racked it last week.

We racked it into 5 different carboys at that time. One 1 gallon with Lavendar, two 1 gallon with Pineapple, one 1 gallon with black berries and 1 two and three quarter gallon in a 3 gallon carboy with nothing added to use for topping off later.

The ones with the fruit and herbs are still active and show no signs of this "mold". The 3 gallon carboy is the only one that does. There is much more head space in it that I would normally prefer, but it was still releasing so much CO2 that I didn't think it would matter. The day after racking the airlock stopped and the yeast dropped! We started seeing some dots form on the surface. This was the first batch we had tried with no additives and did not heat the honey at all, so we thought it may have been wax or other "impurities" being brought to the surface my the CO2 bubbles. But when the bubbles stopped and these began to grow, my theory obviously changed!

I think I will try racking from below these and try to save a couple of gallons of it. If I treat it with some Potassium Metabisulfite when I rack it, do you think that will help?
Thanks!

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
How about rack 2 gallons from the bottom into one carboy or container, then rack the last gallon to a separate container, just in case.

If you can spoon the white stuff off the top, it is probably easier than stopping it getting sucked up the racking cane.

Pot meta? - definitely (or at least the last 1 gallon)

The last gallon may not be perfect in taste, but it will probably still be ok.

Let us know.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns