PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation will not start

JamesB
11-23-2003, 10:53 PM
I brewed up a batch of mead with cranberry juice concentrate. After seeing that the yeast hasn't started (4 days after pitching it), I've realized that the cranberry juice concentrate has perservatives in it. Is there any way that I can get yeast to start fermenting in spite of the perservatives? Or should I just bite the bullet, and throw everything out? >:(

Jmattioli
11-24-2003, 09:08 AM
I guess you could bottle the must with Vodka and sip it like a dessert drink. Might actually be good since cranberries are not sweet anyway and the honey would balance the taste. Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is to dilute it in half with water and pitch a strong starter yeast like Lavlin EC-1118. If that works you can add more honey and unpreserved cranberry juice later to bring it back to orginal recipe strength.
Just a theroretical suggestion that might work but I have never tried. Good Luck

chuckwm
11-24-2003, 06:20 PM
I brewed up a batch of mead with cranberry juice concentrate. After seeing that the yeast hasn't started (4 days after pitching it), I've realized that the cranberry juice concentrate has perservatives in it. Is there any way that I can get yeast to start fermenting in spite of the perservatives? Or should I just bite the bullet, and throw everything out? >:(

Basically James, you're screwed. It's very unlikely that it will ever ferment. It's very important to read the ingredients to check for preservatives of any concentrate for just this reason.

Chuck

JamesB
12-18-2003, 03:46 AM
For what it's worth, the home brew shop sold me a packet of "Turbo Yeast" used for making moonshine and hard liquor. I put that in a week ago, and sure enough, it's now fermenting.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
In a few months, I'll find out just how it turns out. ::)

frob23
12-18-2003, 05:03 AM
When in doubt bring out the heavy artillary. ;-)

I would be interested to know how completely this will ferment out. Since I don't think that the preservatives really go away over time. The residual affects might make for a sweet result -- which could be good if you want it.

Like I said, I tossed my tainted batch. I wish you the best of luck with yours so I can live vicariously through your successes.