• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

does it taste bad?

Barrel Char Wood Products
D

d.m

my friend and i are making a rasberry mead. a basic recipe. we have a 1 gallon and a 5 gallon jug on the go. the one gallon is still bubbling strong and the 5 gal stopped 3 days ago. we racked it to get the sedement out. it does not smell the same as the smaller bottle. the little one smells like mead should. the large one smells very strong but not awful. more like wine. it has a sulfer taste to it. is there any hope? its been 14 days.

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Is it possibe, or would it make a difference how aerated the different musts were? The only way I could see them being the same (considering the opening to the gallon bottle is much smaller) is brewing the 6 gallons together, aerating, pitching, wait, stir, siphon off one gallon. Which I am sure you didn't do.

Also, the gallon would have more surface area to volume and would lose heat quicker. So the five gallon might have been warmed, by a few degrees, even in the same room. I would think the opposite would be true but it might be possible that larger batches ferment out faster. I really have no idea but this is what I am thinking. It seems like most of the 5 gallon batch is done but the 1 gallon is a day or so behind.

Not sure about the sulpher smell. Again, this is all hypothesis -- I have no experience to back this up. My first five gallon batch sits dead in my closet from preservatives.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Your mead is probably fine. Just give it time. What were the recipes you used for both batches? Can you describe the deferences in smells? what do you mean it smells like a mead is supposed to smell? The sulfur is probably from the fermenting fruit...it should dissipate with time. it is probably less pronounced in the smaller batch b/c it is able to dissipate from the smaller volume at a faster rate. temperature differences between the two batches should be negligible, the only time fermentation causes a marked increase in temperature is in batch sizes in the hundreds or thousands of gallons.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns