PDA

View Full Version : ALE Yeasts Anyone?

kace069
11-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Has anyone here ever used an ale yeast? I was thinking about trying some kind of high gravity trappist ales. Shoot for something around 12%abv. Maybe add D47 to finish it off after the ale yeast was done. Or just feeding the ale yeast. I really wouldn't want to finish it off with a wine yeast with a pronunced flavor. I thought maybe the estery quality of trappist yeast could make a nice semi-sweeet mead. Any thoughts, ideas or experience out there??

Jmattioli
11-10-2004, 07:19 PM
It would be a good experiment to see what you get but I would forget about the d47. It would be a shame to go through the trouble and then mask over the ale yeast with D47.
Joe

jeebeel
11-10-2004, 08:39 PM
According to their websites, Wyeast 3787 and White Labs Belgian Golden Ale can reach 12% ABV. So if that is your goal, no need to finish with another yeast. And as Joe said, why mask the effects of the ale yeast?
I would be sure to make a good strong starter and lots of aeration to get a complete fermentation.
Good luck & cheers.

kace069
11-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I was hoping any work left over for the 2nd yeast wouldn't be enough to create a strong presence. And I don't want to over work an ale yeast. I'd probaby be better off shooting for around 10% maybe? I'm surprised no one else has tried it yet.

WikdWaze
11-11-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm curious to hear how yours turns out. I have been thinking about this for my next batch. I'd like to try an ale yeast that produces a smoked flavor, and finish it with a fairly neutral wine yeast.

Oskaar
11-11-2004, 04:53 PM
One of the reasons I stay away from Ale yeasts is because they have such a narrow temperature range, and the ones that I have used have not flocculated as advertised.

That being said, there are a number of brewers here in Southern California that use California Ale yeast for their meads and they love it. Personally I do not, mostly because they are hopping their mead. I don't use hops in my mead, and I prefer my mead without hops, but to each their own.

Note that most of the folks using the Ale yeasts out here are beer brewers and based on my observations they are trying to make a sweet honey ale or beer with not so much hop as normal rather than making a full fledged mead.

Cheers,

Oskaar