PDA

View Full Version : Wife mad about stinky yeast

Caerwyn
10-19-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm on my second batch of mead now, and my wife is complaining about how bad the yeast smells. I use lalvin 1116. The first batch smells and tastes ok now (its still aging), and the second is more of the same, so I don't think it's contaminated or anything (i'd be dead/sick now if it was).

Is there anything (short of leaving my wife) I can do about the strong yeast smell it keeps producing?

Caerwyn

Jmattioli
10-19-2004, 08:29 AM
That's odd. Haven't had that problem with K1V-1116
What is your fermentation temperature?? At 68F, I don't seem to detect the yeast smell at all. How about the rest of you guys and gals?
Joe

Caerwyn
10-19-2004, 09:03 AM
it varies between 72 and 78. I live in Arizona, so **SOME** degree of daytime temperature change is inevitable! As far as I know, 1116 works well at this temperature.

Caerwyn

Oskaar
10-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Hey Caerwyn,

I've used the K1V-1116 and not had any bad smells. Sounds like your wife may not be used to the smell of fermentation (which I find quite appealing thank you very much.!) If the yeast smells bad, like skunky, or diesel or something like that you probably have an infection of some kind. But if it just smells . . . yeasty that's normal. Is she used to brewing in your house with the fermentation and such?

You can wrap a thick towel around the carboy or aging vessel to keep the temperature from fluctuating too wildly, but apart from that if the temperature inside gets above 76 -78 I always bring my stuff inside and set the A/C to 75 degrees.

Oskaar

Jmattioli
10-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Yes K1v will ferment at even higher temperatures but many times ordors are different at higher temperatures. Should not be stinky at lower temperatures.
Joe

David Baldwin
10-19-2004, 10:16 PM
My current batch iis a K1V batch that I fermented at 74-77 degrees. I had no "off" odors from it, but the must smelled wonderfully like a sweet bread

The only thing notable about this batch was the early predominent green apple character that is aging out nicely.

Oskaar
10-19-2004, 11:11 PM
That's acetalaldehyde.

Here's a link that ScottS posted in another thread some time back.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Oskaar

Jmattioli
10-20-2004, 08:44 AM
That is one great link, Oskaar
Thanks, Joe

David Baldwin
10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Yes, many thanks Oskaar,

I've got that page bookmarked.

Oskaar
10-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, thank Scott, he da man who found it! 8)

ScottS
10-21-2004, 06:50 PM
That's the benefit of brewing beer as well. That is from a book that I bought on beermaking. The guy made a huge online reference, and then made a book out of it. There's lots of interdiciplinary knowledge to be had.

And I need something to drink while the mead is aging, you know. ;D

Oskaar
10-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Yup,

Ale is a good "in-between" fermentation beverage. My pumpkin ale is about ready to test. It's been in the bottle for a week after priming, so I should see some signs of carbonation. Heck, it tasted great right out of the carboy without carbonation! :o

Oskaar