PDA

View Full Version : Premier Cuvee yeast

Norskersword
05-19-2004, 05:35 AM
I get the honor of being the first post on this new and revised General Questions forum!

Has anyone ever tried Premier Cuvee yeast? I did and as a result I have a gasoline cyser. Could this have caused it or was this problem caused by something else? I was thinking it was just really dry.

What should I do, just wait it out?

ThistyViking
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Waiting it out is your best option. I'd need details on your recipe, but likely extremely dry and in need of ageing. Fermentation temperature can also affect the outcome as well as your sensitivity to certain fermentation products. IIRC Premier Cuvee is Champagne yeast and can go to 22% ABV on the high end. How far it went depends of course on O.G. and if you fed it.

Edit:
When I refer to certain fermentation products, I'm refering to Esters. (Possibly also high alchohols, if they are different... Sorry I'm a little non scientific here at this time) These are produced in greator ammounts by stressed yeasts: high fermentation temperature, nutirent chalenged, or producing to the max ABV capacity.

Tannin and age are frequently recommended for smothing out such meads, I have not really had this problem, and to date have not added tannin to mine. (that is an AND age, not an or. Tannin is harsh and needs time to age itself)

Norskersword
05-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Aha! I didn't know it was champagn yeast! Thanks for the help viking!

By the way, you havn't answered my email yet. ;) (from xavus83@hotmail.com)

ThistyViking
05-22-2004, 04:24 AM
I've been considering it, your ship is nice. I need to do some looking around the web i guess

svaros
08-22-2004, 08:04 PM
I too have a gasoline mead from Premier Cuvee yeast. I wasn't sure if it was the yeast so I tried a batch with Lalvin D47 and it is much better. In addition, my fermentation location is hotter than I would like, so that might have added to it (70-78F in the summer).

I've bottled mine, and they are starting to get better. Keep me posted on how yours come out (and what yeast you are using instead)

Norskersword
08-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the board Svaros.

My cyser with Premier Cuvee yeast is about 4 months old now and last I tasted it a month ago or so, the gasoline taste was just starting to go away. It was "drinkable", but not "enjoyable". I imagine it will take another 2 months or so at least before I would want to drink it.

Keep me posted on yours! How old is yours and what kind of mead is it?

svaros
08-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Mine is a traditional mead from local blueberry honey. I usually brew beer, so we gave the honey a quick boil, cooled it, and pitched the yeast. The only additions were a little yeast nutrient, and a teaspoon of acid blend. We then promptly forgot about it for 3 months before bottling it.

That was last summer. I opened a bottle this summer, and it is getting drinkable, but not yet. Still a lot of gasoline/Listerine flavors. I think if I had gone with less honey, it would have aged more quickly, but it'll be around for a while, and I can drink the other stuff while I'm waiting.

I have a raspberry melomel and a cinnamon metheglin fermenting away right now along with 3 gallons of stout, 1 gallon of maple porter, 1 gallon of honey porter, and 5 gallons of wheat beer.

I would really like to find a bottle of the commercial mead to see if I'm going in the right direction. It's just a little hard to find around here.

Thanks for the welcome!!

DE

Jmattioli
08-22-2004, 11:05 PM
The research I did on the Listerine/gasoline taste seems to have some common denominators that are interrelated.
#1 yeast type
#2 fermentation temperature
#3 Alcohol content

Though it seems that the Curvee yeast has a number of complaints along with Montachet, you will find people using those yeast that never have a bad report.
Fermentation Temperatures in the mid 70's and higher seem to have the most complaints and in almost every case the Alcohol content is at or near the yeast limit.
Personally, I have never experienced that problem and since I keep the alcohol between 10-13%, and ferment at ~68F in only one batch of over 20 batches was mine undrinkable at the finish of fermentation and that was because of too much acid.
Joe

svaros
08-22-2004, 11:15 PM
In the last batch, I went with 2.4 pounds per gallon and used Lalvin D47. Unfortunately, I can't do too much about the temperature.

I might go to a more strict brewing schedule where I do beer in the summer and leave the mead and cider for the winter.

Thanks for the comments.
If you have any info about the Lalvin D47, I'd be interested in hearing them. (I think I asked in another thread too)

DE

Oskaar
08-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi Svaros,

I just used D-47 in a large batch of sweet show mead. I live in So Cal and the temperature has been hot (although the last week has been warm but not hot)

Anyhow, the D-47 has been a remarkable yeast to this point. The temperature has been a constant 75 degrees F and the mead has not suffered in the area of taste, or fermentation. I am very happy with the results thus far. The D-47 took off very quickly (it was bubbling away in less than 12 hours) and went very strong for two weeks. I let it slow down for a week and racked. At racking time there was a significant yeast cake on the bottom.

The gravity was around 1.038 or so if I remember correctly off the top of my head, and the mead smelled very good. I pulled off about a half liter from each vessel before racking and I must say that for a three week old mead, it is already very deep. It should mature to a very, very good end product.

I plan on making other batches using Lalvin yeasts as I am very impressed with the character of the D-47 and am curious about the K1-V1116, 71B-1122, and the EC-1118.

I noticed that you were going to get some of the commericial meads to get a baseline idea of where you stood. That can be a mixed bag. I've tried a few of them and the styles, ingredients and actual characters of each are all over the map, so if you're not sure what you're looking for it may be a good idea to pick some up. On the other hand, because they are so all over the map character and flavorwise it can be difficult to focus on what you like and move in that direction.

You can "flavor-average" like a lot of wine makers/drinkers I know do. That is, you find the flavors and characters you like in each mead, and then find out what the building blocks of those flavors are in the brewing (mazing for the purists out there), fermenting, flavoring and aging process. Incorporate those aspects that you like into your brewing process and then focus like a laser beam on perfecting your technique.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

svaros
08-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Knowing that people have had luck with a specific ingredient helps a lot. Especially with a product that can take so long to know if you have good results.

Thanks again

DE