PDA

View Full Version : My house is too cold!

CosmicCharlie
12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
My wife is comfortable, but I'm freezing. Of course, its not me that I'm worried about, its the mead. Its temperature is 66 degrees. Is fermentation going to be sluggish, or would higher temps produce off flavors?

David Baldwin
12-01-2004, 09:44 PM
It will depend on the optimal temperature range for the particular strand of yeast that you pitched.

66 might slow the fermentation a bit, but knowing your yeast strain and the optimal temps will tell you better what to expect.

ScottS
12-02-2004, 12:00 AM
As a rule, I do all of my fermentation in the basement. I don't notice a real slow down until it gets to about 60. It's 58 now, and I have to bring everything upstairs for the primary ferment. Annoying, but I can't let the weather get in the way of brewing. ;D

Oskaar
12-02-2004, 05:23 AM
Same here Scott.

We have some "cold" weather here in So Cal and my mead room is about 58 degrees F. I keep my carboys wrapped in old towels and check the temp there which has been staying at a steady 60 degrees F.

If it drops below, onto the moveable dollys and into the house they go.

Oskaar

Jmattioli
12-02-2004, 08:57 AM
My wife is comfortable, but I'm freezing. Of course, its not me that I'm worried about, its the mead. Its temperature is 66 degrees. Is fermentation going to be sluggish, or would higher temps produce off flavors?
Sluggish No.
As long as temperature is kept within the range specified for your yeast, a higher temp will not produce off flavors.
Joe

CosmicCharlie
12-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Y'all aren't helping. I want to be able to say to my wife, "But the anonymous posters from the internet said we need to turn the heat up."

Just kidding ;D

Oskaar
12-03-2004, 08:12 AM
I've found that a bottle of mead, a back rub and some candles grease the skids when I want something from a ladyfriend (never been married, still looking, not bitter . . . yet) Everythink else failing, I will . . . gulp . . . even attend a "chick-flick" and act interested!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Talon
12-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Easy! You're getting close to having your man card revoked! ;D Just don't admit you liked the chick-flicks.... ;)