PDA

View Full Version : I AM OBSESSED!!!!!

mavityre
09-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Good lord.
I haven't brewed etc.. for years and now I have 2 meads going. Also got back from the brew supply store and bought a 3 gallon carboy. So......................
On the way home bought 3 gallons of apple juice, threw in a packet of Cote des Blancs yeast and we will see what happens.................................

Somebody stop me.

10/22/04 - Just bottled it and it's a fizzy son of a gun........

Talon
09-22-2004, 01:45 AM
You need more carboys...

lbaker
09-22-2004, 02:09 AM
So far, I've finished exactly one Cyser. Since the day I started my first ever batch of mead, I've started...

a Peach melomel (3 Gal)
a Blackberry / Peach melomel (1 Gal)
an IceWine Pyment (4 Gal)
and a take off of Joe's Ancient Orange, Cinnamon & Clove Mead (4 Gal)

and as soon as the primary bucket frees up, I plan to start a batch of cocoa mead. After that, probably another cyser, but it's a little early to say for sure!

Overall... a very addicting hobby! (but I absolutely love the smell!)

So far, the YL loves the Cyser and since she's a big fan of Ice Wine, I'm fairly sure she will like the Ice Pyment (and it's a LOT cheaper than buying Ice Wine!!!! For the cost of 1 GOOD bottle or 3 average bottles, I'll have 3 1/2 gallon!) The pyment has been cooking for 1 month now, and it looks like it's starting to slow to a stop.

The Peach and Blackberry / Peach are done fermenting, but need a LOT of aging before they will be ready to drink.

I just started the Orange, Cinnamon & Clove 1 1/2 weeks ago, so it's too early tell (But it smells wonderful!)

Wassail!

Lyle Baker
http://www.moremead.com

ScottS
09-22-2004, 06:36 PM
But its a good obsession. Just give in, you'll enjoy it more. ;D

mavityre
09-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Holy Moly! :o

That 3 gallons of apple juice and yeast looks like it's doing a slow boil!
I ran outa airlocks so I had to use the ol' 2 sheets of paper towel and a rubber band trick.

Helios
09-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Obsessed? I believe I am approaching that level if i haven't already passed it.

When Im in the store or on my 1 1/2 hour commute daily all I do is ponder new blends and flavours. Right now my kitchen counter looks like a scientists lab....at last count I have 7 different batches of wine and mead going....not even taking into concideration I have to move to a new place to live while in the middle of these lil projects....so obsessed might just discribe me

Helios
09-28-2004, 03:43 AM
did I mention I still have 1 gallon of KILLERBEE honey just waiting for the right recipe?......

mavityre
09-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Good lord.

I HAD to go to the brew shop for something ( I can't remember) and now it looks like I'm making a 5 gallon batch of Braggot. :o

10 lbs Clover Honey
3.5 lbs Dry Light Malt
1 lb Crystyl Malt 60 (steeping)
2 tsp. Irish Moss
1 ox. Cascades Hops (boiling)
Lalvin D-47 yeast

EDITED ----

S.G 1.086

EDITED AGAIN 10/22/04
Just bottled and only seem to have a final of 1.018. Will see how it is maybe tonight ;) Seemed to have an almost chocolate taste to it.

David Baldwin
09-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Welcome to Meadmakers Not-so-annonymous!!!

Hey I can't think of a better support group to have to belong to. ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Obsession is a relative term... ;D

While you may be obsessed... I am officially OBSESSED!

I ordered 18 carboys and 12 cases of bottles, as well as a number of other small items from Leeners yesterday. Came to $660 or so with shipping...

But TRUE OBSESSION would be the other guy in our area that Jim at Leeners still remembers after 16 or 18 months. He ordered two dozen carboys, 70 cases of bottles, and a bunch of other things including presses, corkers, and the whole 9 yards.... about $2500 all told...

He's the one that corrupted me... so I am happily diving into the obsession of meadmaking with both feet!

As one person so aptly put it... Just give in, you'll enjoy it more... ::)

ScottS
09-29-2004, 02:35 AM
I cringe whenever I hear of people shipping bottles... Those things are heavy!

If you are going to do large volumes of mead, kegging is the cheapest way per volume. If you still want to be able to open a bottle, put 1 gal in bottles and 4 gals in the keg. I personally am more interested in drinking the mead than enjoying the experience of opening the bottle. ;D I've got a link around here somewhere to a place in the Detroit suburbs that sells kegs for $13 a piece.

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Scott,

One advantage I received by having such a large order is that Leeners shipped it freight instead of UPS. It turned out that everything I bought above and beyond the carboys essentially got shipped for free. With essentially free shipping, I had to restrain myself from buying another 12 or 24 or 36 or .... cases of bottles (you get the idea). ;D

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
09-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Has anyone use those one gallon lemonade jugs with the spouts on the bottom for their mead? You'd think that for the final racking of clear mead these jugs might be ideal.
One concern would be the lids.... will they get tight enough? Or the spouts... will the spigots eventually leak?

Just a thought from a newbie....

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

Talon
09-29-2004, 06:26 PM
I would suggest using them more as a way of dispensing it from your refrigerator so that you can keep your mead at hand and cold at the same time...

Talon.

David Baldwin
10-11-2004, 10:08 PM
I would suggest using them more as a way of dispensing it from your refrigerator so that you can keep your mead at hand and cold at the same time...

Talon.

In my "dream" kitchen I envision having my mead piped directly into the the fridge ice/water dispenser. ...mead cubes anyone...?

;D

ScottS
10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
How about mead on tap? All you need is a basement kegerator, a countertop faucet, and some unimportant details in between. I can just see the daily dilemna: "Hmmmm, water or mead?" :)

David Baldwin
10-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Oh lead me not into temptation! ;D

Scott, BTW, I just picked up a 60# container of honey from Fase.

Wonderful folks. Thanks for the contact info.

ScottS
10-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Glad to hear you talked to them. I agree, really nice people. And great honey too. :)

Did you tell them I sent you?

David Baldwin
10-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Scott,

Yes, I did tell them you sent me. I think they were pleased by the referral.

So between the two of us, do you think we can corner the market on their honey? ;D

I got the darker amber colored honey. Is this last years or this years current batch?

ScottS
10-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I've already got a committment from them for 10% of their total production once I get the meadery up and running. ;D

By the way, they are hurting for business right now. They used to be in 5 Meijers stores. One day last month, they were kicked out of 3 of them, because the managers decided that cheap imported crap honey would sell better. >:( Almost enough to make me boycott Meijers.

David Baldwin
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
No kidding, but for as little as I shop Meijer, they'd never miss my business.

Well, I'll pick up another container of last years honey in a couple of weeks.

They really should go online. She and I talked a bit about that when I was there to pick up the honey.

I really don't understand what Meijer's problem was. I got their honey from Meijer at about $7 per quart. That's a lot more expensive than buying it raw, but at about $2.35 per pound it's not a bad price for honey compared to the other brands they sell.

Anyway, I've probably dragged this thread as far off topic as possible ;D

Oskaar
10-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Fase's sounds like a nice supplier to do business with. I'd buy from them but the cross-country shipping would kill me.

Miller's does a pretty nice job, out here in California, and they're very easy to work with.

Oskaar