PDA

View Full Version : bulk aging vs. bottle aging

Mike
02-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Is there any advantage to bulk aging versus bottle aging? I had always thought that once the mead had stablized and cleared, that it was ok to bottle. I had someone tell me that a mead that is bulk aged for 1 year and then bottled and aged for another year will be better than a mead that is bottle aged for two years. Would this be true? I just can't understand the logic behind it. Aging is aging, in my eyes. Who cares whether it's in a 750 ml wine bottle or a 5 gallon carboy.

My mead bible (aka Ken Schramm's Compleat Meadmaker) surprisingly does not answer this question.

Any thoughts?

JamesP
02-18-2004, 08:53 AM
My understanding of the advantages of Bulk Aging are

temperature fluctuations reduced. Bottles are smaller, so there is less volume to buffer the temperature changes in the outside environment.
headspace per volume is less.

Hopefully someone else can provide more detailed info.

A complexity to throw into the discussion is barrel aging effects (oak, oxygen, etc). An interesting article is http://www.flextank.com.au/PDF_Files/How-Barrels-Work.pdf. This article is on wine and wine barrels, but I assume there is a very similar effect on mead.

Cheers,
James

ThistyViking
02-19-2004, 10:29 PM
A complexity to throw into the discussion is barrel aging effects (oak, oxygen, etc). An interesting article is http://www.flextank.com.au/PDF_Files/How-Barrels-Work.pdf. This article is on wine and wine barrels, but I assume there is a very similar effect on mead.

Cheers,
James

What a facinating company Flextank is. For someone like me foolish enough to be considering opening a meadery, absolutely facinating... Lots of out of the box thinking there.

Thanks for your Post. I may actually buy a plastic barrel from them instead of getting a used one.

JamesP
02-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd only read the article, but hadn't looked at the products offered by the company. :P