• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

bulk aging vs. bottle aging

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mike

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2003
www.ciphi.ca
Is there any advantage to bulk aging versus bottle aging? I had always thought that once the mead had stablized and cleared, that it was ok to bottle. I had someone tell me that a mead that is bulk aged for 1 year and then bottled and aged for another year will be better than a mead that is bottle aged for two years. Would this be true? I just can't understand the logic behind it. Aging is aging, in my eyes. Who cares whether it's in a 750 ml wine bottle or a 5 gallon carboy.

My mead bible (aka Ken Schramm's Compleat Meadmaker) surprisingly does not answer this question.

Any thoughts?

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
My understanding of the advantages of Bulk Aging are
  • temperature fluctuations reduced. Bottles are smaller, so there is less volume to buffer the temperature changes in the outside environment.
  • headspace per volume is less.
Hopefully someone else can provide more detailed info.

A complexity to throw into the discussion is barrel aging effects (oak, oxygen, etc). An interesting article is http://www.flextank.com.au/PDF_Files/How-Barrels-Work.pdf. This article is on wine and wine barrels, but I assume there is a very similar effect on mead.

Cheers,
James

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
JamesP said:
A complexity to throw into the discussion is barrel aging effects (oak, oxygen, etc). An interesting article is http://www.flextank.com.au/PDF_Files/How-Barrels-Work.pdf. This article is on wine and wine barrels, but I assume there is a very similar effect on mead.

Cheers,
James

What a facinating company Flextank is. For someone like me foolish enough to be considering opening a meadery, absolutely facinating... Lots of out of the box thinking there.

Thanks for your Post. I may actually buy a plastic barrel from them instead of getting a used one.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd only read the article, but hadn't looked at the products offered by the company. :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns